Following Your Heart

Chapter Twenty-Two

I had spent most of the night tossing and turning, thinking what was best. Could I really just give up Toby, could I give up the love of my life just to protect him? I would give anything to protect Toby and breaking up with him wasn’t going to do that.

I got ready for the day and headed to work. I wasn’t looking forward to today, with thinking about my future with Toby and the press conference. I just wanted everything to go back to how it was, I would rather take my old job if it meant I could be with Toby.

“Good morning Declan,” Stella said as I worked to my office.

“Good morning Stella, any messages for me?”

“Yes, Mr. Bennett said to meet him in his office at nine forty. Then this was left for you on my desk, I don’t know who it’s from.” She handed me a white envelope with my name on it.

“Okay thank you,” I walked into my office and opened the envelope.

‘Now it makes so much sense on how you got the promotion and why you have turned down every single girls here. So here is the thing, you go out with me and make me your assistant. I won’t sell your little secret to the highest bidding tabloid. You have until the end of the day to make your choice. ‘

Love. Grace.

            I crumpled the letter and tossed it into the trashcan. This was seriously getting on my damn nervous. This entire promotion was just making me hate it even more. First I’m being told that I can’t be with the love of my life because of it and now I’m being blackmailed into dating an annoy ass girl and making her my assistant.

            I really wanted to punch something or even someone, I was even to the point I would punch Grace in the face right now. What was with girls being so ugh! Like really if a guy doesn’t want to go out with you then let it go! Don’t be blackmailing him into going out with you, that’s just the lowest thing you can do.

            I just need some fresh air and to clear my head. If I didn’t get out right now I was just going to snap at the next person that pissed me off. “Stella I’m going to go get some air, if you need anything just reach me on my cellphone.”

            “Okay Declan,” she said as I walked down to the stairwell. I walked up the stairs and open the door that led to the roof. It felt nice and cool up here, the typical California winter weather. I was looking forward to Christmas this year and then all this shit happen. I had it all planned out, I was going to take Toby out to a cabin up in Lake Tahoe.         

            I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small black box. The engagement ring I had bought for Toby two weeks again. It wasn’t anything special just a simple ring I knew he would like. A simple sterling silver band with a square cut diamond in the band. 

            My plan was to propose to him, because I had thought everything was going to be good. However I was dead wrong and now I didn’t even know if we were even going to stay together.

            I just wished that Toby would answer my phone calls and messages. I know if we talked about this we could figure something out in order to stay together. He shouldn’t even be believing a word of what his father told him.

            I took out my phone and dialed his number, it went to his voicemail. I waited for the beep to leave a message. “I wish you would answer my calls. I don’t know what you and your father talked about, but I want you to know I love you. And if you feel the same way, it would be nice to see at the press conference today.” I put my phone back in my pocket.