BAAM (23)

Pic of Emily =>

I don't think I ever saw Marcus this angry before. His anger radiated off him in pounding waves. His anger caused me to take a few steps back, stumbling over my own feet, slamming my back against the wall. Marcus took a couple of long, angry strides to me, until he was right in my face, his arms tapping me. In a calm voice, maybe too calm, he said, "I didn't tell you about Reagan for you to through him back in my face like that, Holly." He shoved himself away from me and started to pace around the room. "He's dead, Holly! Do you really need to throw the fact at me?! Do you really need to sink that low to get your point across?! I am your mate, your true mate. Whether you want to or not, you will tell me what exactly happened, and you will do it without mentioning Reagan."

"I already told you that I don't want to talk about, Marcus. And I'm not bringing up Reagan to hurt you, I'm just telling you that I may not be your mate like you think I am. That Reagan may not be dead after all."

"He's gone, Holly! He's been gone since we were kids!"

"But in my dreams-"

His voice lost his anger. "They're just dreams, Holly. And Reagan can't be your true mate, werewolves can't have a true mate that was destined to die so young." He went over to my bed and sat down slowly, placing his head in his hands. "You're my mate. You're my mate and you need to tell me about last night." He looked up at me, his eyes determined and hard.

I shook my head. "I can't, Marcus. I just can't.

Marcus looked ready to snap. He pushed himself up, and giving me one last angry look, left the room, slamming the door behind him. Outside, I heard a loud, pain-filled howl.

Sunday came quickly. I slept with few nightmares about last Friday night and Reagan did not show up. Could things possibly get any worse? Of course they can. Slowly, I got out of bed and headed down to the kitchen, where mom and dad were sat at the table, talking in whispers.

"Glory said that Holly told Marcus Reagan is probably still alive. I asked her how Holly could possibly know about Reagan, and she said that Marcus had told her." Mom paused, letting the information sink in for dad. "Anyway, I guess she through it back in Marcus' face last night, telling him that Reagan's most likely not dead and that he came into her dreams and claimed to be her true mate."

"True mate?" asked dad.

There was a small pause, I could only guess that mom was nodding her head. "I know, it's so rare that it never happens. Not to mention that it's impossible for someone to lose their true mate at such a young age."

"But the hunters-"

"Don't you get it Matt? Holly's claiming that he escaped from the hunters."

"Then where has he been all these years?" dad asked incredulously.

"In hiding, Matt! In hiding."

"Emily, honey, Reagan's gone. There was no way he could of survived those hunters at such a young age. Even if he did, he could fend for himself, in human form or otherwise. He was a kid."

"I don't know, Matt. I kind of believe Holly. I mean, how else could she resist Marcus like she does? Mates can't resist each other, no matter how much they fight it. How is she able to go against his orders of telling him about Friday night?"

I gave a quiet sigh. At least someone believed me. Really, I thought it'd be my dad before my mom.  Dad seemed like he wanted to believe me, but with it being years since Reagan's disappearance, he found it hard to believe that he was still alive and that I was his true mate. Don't get me wrong, I still don't believe in all this mate stuff, but as I have more and more of those dreams, it's getting harder to not believe in it.

"She's still very new to this, Em. I mean, she still has to go through her first full moon. Lets not forget about the wolf moon." Dad paused. "It's only a couple weeks away. We have to find someone to watch Chris."

"The only ones here that don't turn are the hunters. Do you think someone older could look after him? Maybe Howard's parents? They watched Peyson and Arista for Glory and Howard while they were forced into their....meaner selves."

"I don't know...."

"C'mon, Matt. This isn't New York. We can't get a babysitter to watch him for a week, and Holly's turned, so she can't stay with him."

At this time I made my presence known. "What's for breakfast?" I asked loudly as I walked out from behind the wall.

"Pancakes and sausages, sweetie. Your plates right over there on the counter." Mom pointed to a full plate. There's juice in the fridge and dad just made a fresh pot of coffee."

"Okay." I walked over and took my plate and coffee to the table, sitting opposite of dad. "So what's going on today?"

"Ellcie's family is having a cook out today around noon. Your mom and I thought Chris and you would like to go with us." Dad took a sip of his coffee as he opened the newspaper in front of him.

"I don't know, I'll think about it."

Hours later I found myself getting ready for the cook out. I really didn't want to go, but I wasn't going to hide out from the world, or town, just because of Friday and my little spat with Marcus.

"Holly, c'mon, we're all waiting!" mom yelled up the stairs.

"Okay! I'll be down in a minute!"

"That's what you said twenty minutes ago, Holly!" Dad laughed.

A few minutes later I went down the stairs, passing my family. "Well are you coming, or what? We're late, you know."

Mom gave a huff and dad smiled. Chris, however, gave an out burst. "You're the one that took so long! We've been waiting for hours!" He threw his hands in the air and pouted.

"All right, lets go y'all. Everyone's going to think we're a no-show." Dad ushered us out the door and and we drove to Ellcie's.