BAAM (29)

Pic of Holly's prom dress

I rushed down the stairs as I heard the phone ringing. "Is anyone going to get that?!" I shouted as I fumbled on a step. The phone continued to ring. "Anyone?!" I went in search of the mentioned object, finding it hidden under a pillow on the sofa. Tilly blinked on the screen.

"Tilly?" I asked.

"Why is your phone off?" she demanded.

I pulled out my cell from my pocket. "It's not o- oh." My battery had died on me earlier and I had forgotten to charge it. "Oops?"

"Yeah, oops," she stated. "Have you forgotten - we were supposed to go shopping today."

I headed to the kitchen to fix a snack or two. "Shopping?" I asked as I pulled out a box of mac & cheese.

There was a frustrated growl on the other side. "Yes! Prom, remember?"

I poured water into a pot to boil. "Right. Prom."

"Don't you chicken out on me, Holly Shay Saunders! You said you were going to go, and with Marcus, and I am determined to make sure you go through with it."

I sighed and sat at the island that standing in the middle o the kitchen. "I'm not chickening out, I just.... I just didn't realize that prom was so soon."

"Good. So I'll see you in thirty?"

"Thirty," I replied.

Tilly hung up and I continued with my snack making. As I was about to take the first bite the phone rang again. I decided to put it on speaker. "Hello?"

"Holly?" It was mom.

"Yeah?"

"Why do you sound weird?"

"I have you on speaker, mom. I'm eating."

"Oh," she replied. "Well, your dad and I took Chris to Dr. Harris - he was complaining o a stomach ache."

"Okay."

"Okay, we'll be home in a few hours. We're going grocery shopping afterward."

"Okay."

"Okay, bye, honey."

"Bye."

I continued to eat and hurried out the door to meet up with Tilly at the mall.

The other pack girls were there as well. Tilly rushed up to my car and flung open the door before I even put the car into park. Immediately after I unbuckled my seat belt, Tilly drug me out and led me by the arm to the mall's entrance.

"What's the hurry, Tills?" asked Valery, trying to keep up with Tilly's fast pace.

"We have to get in there before all the good dresses get picked."

"Well, I don't have to worry," replied Ellcie, waddling her way up to the doors. "I had my dress custom made to fit my growing belly." She laughed and rubbed a soothing hand in circles on her round, protruding belly. "Christine's got it stored in the back."

Once we stepped in, Tilly jerked me over to the dresses. There were so many o them; in all lengths and colors. For a moment I felt overwhelmed as Tilly let go of my arm and dashed to a rack of glittery pink dresses. The prom section was a sea of color. I realized then that it would be difficult to pick one. There were many to choose from. Too many. And it wasn't just color that I had to choose. There was pattern, length, glittered, sequined, ruffled, satin, strapless, lacy, and so much more.