Unknown Motives

NATSU'S POV

It's been about a week since that faithful day. One minute, I was extatic over the thought of having Ray back, the next it was that very person who killed my father. I see the way that everyone is looking at me, pitting me. The side glances from people who weren't around when she was are the worst. They don't know what they're talking about. That was not Ray, there is no way that was her.

I'm not the only one going through these mind battles. Lisanna, constantly starring down at her hands. Erza, wearing more armor then usual. Even Lucy, who wasn't in the guild with her has been abnormally quiet. Gray, however, is clearly taking it the hardest.

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Gray and Ray had a special bond, they practically have the same name. While stories of Ray were slim, all of the older members have confirmed that Gray was the first person she willingly went up to. While Lisanna was the one to get Ray to start talking, everyone agrees that the one who really got her out of her shell was Gray.

Ever since that event, all Gray's been doing is clutching that pendent. While there is so much going on in all of our heads, nobody has actually spoken a word about it.

There is no way that is Ray, there is no way that the very person who claimed they would help me find Igneel would be the one to kill him, it just wasn't possible. Yet something she said before that final attack has stuck with me, and I'm not sure how to take it. What did she mean she did it for me? Igneel raised me, taught me magic, I owe the world to him, how is that such a bad thing? And what was she talking about, that thing he never told me, what did he keep from me? Was he even keeping anything from me, or was that her way of putting doubt into my head? Thoughts like these have been swimming around my head the entire time, and I haven't been able to come up with any real answer.

As much as I don't want to believe it, that was her. That was the Ray, however I am not sure it was the same Ray as before. Then again, people change after almost 9 years, so I guess it only makes sense.

I gave up, smacking my head against the wood table. There is something more to this, there has to be. She left a clue, a sign, something to tell us what is really going on here. She had to, right?

GRAYS POV

I rolled the ice pendent around in my hand, unsure about what I should be feeling. Should I be happy to know she still around, safe and alive, should I be mad that she lied and put us in danger, or should I be sad that she's gone? I guess, mostly, I just don't understand. How could you leave people behind for that long, without saying a word? I thought we meant more to her then that. If only she had been honest to us about her past and her problems, we could have helped her, we could have avoided any of this from happening. Although she did kill a dragon, the exact dragon that raised Natsu, right in front of us, there had to be a reason ,right? She has to have some feelings still inside, some humanity. I mean, she couldn't even look at me, the only person she looked at was Natsu, and it seems the only reason she did that was because she was waiting for....

"Guys" I said, causing the group around me to look up, startled. For the past week, Erza, Natsu, Lisanna, Lucy, and I have been sitting, thinking without saying a word. So I guess it was a bit unexpected that I would be the one to break the ice.

"What is it Gray?" Lucy asked, everyone else equally curious.

" She couldn't look at us." I replied.

" She was staring pretty intently at Natsu." Erza responded, questioning where I was going.

" I don't think she was actually looking at him though, the only reason she pushed him back was because she wanted to summon Igneel." I realized.

" Shes also extremely cautious, so there is no way she would give us enough information to know who she was on accident." Lisanna added.

" So you're saying, everything she did, by telling Lucy about when they had met previously to letting Gray see the pendent, was all just to get at Igneel?" Natsu said, looking around the group.

"Gray, that pendent is made of ice, right?" Lucy asked me.

"Yeah, I made it for her by the stream when we were younger." I replied, not sure where her thoughts were.

" Melt it." She said simple.

" What?!? Why in the world would I do that?" I yelled at her. This was the only think I had to remind me that the Ray I knew was still around, there was no way I was just going to melt it.

" Her magic skills are incredible, there is no way she would have let you just take it, I mean you guys just proved that everything she's done up until now has been for a reason." Lucy stated.

"She has a point Gray." Lisanna added.

I had to admit, I agreed with what they were saying. For as long as I knew her, Ray hated using her magic, therefore, whenever she went on a job with us, she was I charge of the planning, and things almost always went exactly as she said they would. Sighing in defeat, I handed the pendent to Natsu, giving him the go ahead to melt it.

Natsu clutched the pendent in his right hand, allowing his flames to engulf it. After a solid minute of waiting, he opened his hand, revealing a a small piece of paper.

"Lucy, you were right." Erza said, gazing at Natsu's hand.

"What does it say?" Lisanna asked in a scared yet curious tone.

"Hinata cove." Natsu replied

"What?" I asked him, confused on what Hinata cove had to do with anything.

"Lisanna, Mira and Wendy said there was nothing wrong with her after I brought her back right, she was just sleeping." Natsu asked, not looking away from the paper.

"That's what they said." Lisanna responded cautiously.

"Natsu, what's going on?" Lucy asked worried.

"Hinata cove is where I found her after she destroyed Eclipse."

I updated, Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays. It's been so long I had to go back a reread the entire story. It's unusual for me to do POVs that aren't Ray, especially entire chapters, however I felt that it was important for what is next to come. The holiday season is very busy, and we've all learned I'm not good at keeping update schedules, so I will leave it at this. I will update once more before 2017, we will see how it goes from there. I'm pretty sure I started this story like 2 years ago, so It is a strong goal of mine to finish it in 2017. We'll see how that goes. Thanks again for all the comments and favorites, it really does mean a lot. I get excited when I see comments asked me to update because it means people are actually interested in the story, so thanks!AJ