Chapter 28

Spoilers for what Alaricas and Jolene will do in the final battle! It's actually pretty cool...just saying

Sara walked outside with her sister, focused and determined. In the field stood a large crowd, consisting of over thirty packs. All the alphas, including their father, were gathered in the middle.

"We're going to win this, right?" Sara asked softly.

Sage gave her an encouraging smile, "We will."

They joined their father in the center, their eyes scanning the surrounding crowd. Dimitri kissed Rosalie on the head and ushered her into the castle. He then looked at his daughters and smiled proudly.

"You know what I've taught you over the years?" He asked.

Both of them nodded.

"Show no mercy." Sara said.

"Be vicious." Sage replied.

"Rip them apart."

"Have them begging for their death."

"Protect your pack."

"Protect your family."

"Fight with confidence."

"Be cunning."

"Be dangerous."

"Make them fear you."

"Leave them limp on the ground."

"Kill every single one of them."

"Win."

He nodded, he planted a soft kiss on both their cheeks before turning towards everyone else.

"Let's go." He growled.

He shifted into his wolf and sprinted into the forest, Sage and Sara shifted and followed him. Two of the packs all shifted and chased after them while the others spread out.

Sara and Sage ran close beside their father, determined to show everyone why the Black family would be feared by everyone.

They picked up speed as they neared the skin-walkers' territory. Dimitri bared his teeth as their scent reached his nose, his ears laid flat against his head as anger boiled within him.

They skidded to a halt and surrounded the whole territory. Dimitri pricked up his ears and listened. When he spotted several skin-walkers walking through the trees, he got low.

"Payback time." He mind-linked everyone.

Howls, growls, and snarls sounded throughout the trees as over fifty wolves jumped out from the trees. They tore through the skin-walkers like nothing, their muzzles coated in black blood.

Sage snarled and tackled a skin-walker, she ripped her throat out before moving on to the next. Her claws were covered in their blood, along with her muzzle and teeth. She didn't leave any skin-walker alive in her path.

Sara was the same, she tore through them with anger. She growled as a skin-walker shifted and sprinted towards her. She easily ripped his throat out before running the opposite way.

"He's on the cliff overhanging the river. East side of the territory. Closest to the building."

She remembered what Iris had told her and followed her directions. She growled when six skin-walkers jumped out, all shifted into their coyote forms. She bared her teeth and lunged at the first one.

It only took her ten minutes to kill all of them, her fur was soaked in their blood. She shook out her fur before continuing her journey to the cliff.

Thousands of skin-walkers suddenly charged into the forest, all shifted and their teeth bared. Dimitri howled, signaling for the packs to start attacking.

Seconds after, thousands of wolves tore trough the forest. Coyotes and wolves slaughtered each other, hatred dancing in all of their eyes.

They fought for hours, but as soon as they thought they were winning, more skin-walkers charged into the forest. Dimitri killed a skin-walker before watching with horrified eyes.

"Kill them." He growled.

Coyotes and wolves clashed with teeth and claws, ripping through each other's flesh.

Sara dodged another skin-walker, ignoring her screaming muscles. She was growing tired, but she didn't care. Her determination gave her the energy and strength to continue fighting. She broke a female's neck before facing a male.

She looked up as Sage suddenly attacked the male and killed him. She nodded at her sister and they started to fight together. Showing them why they should be feared.

Sage grabbed a coyote by its neck and swung it, slamming his body into a tree. He slumped to the ground before trying to stand up, but Sage was already on him, breaking his neck.

Sara slid under a coyote and used her claws to slice open his underbelly. He howled in pain for a while before Sara grabbed him and broke his neck.

"There's so many of them." Sara mind linked her sister.

Sage nodded, "We need to keep fighting."

They were starting to lose hope when a loud howl echoed throughout the night's battle song. Everyone stopped and looked up as a large alpha stood on a hill, his black fur making him look like a shadow come to life. His bright, icy blue eyes shined brightly against the black.

Beside him, stood a large female, her green eyes shining with a promise of death. Her dark brown fur was illuminated by the moon's silver light.

On either side of them, surrounding the territory, stood thousands of wolves. All of them baring their teeth and growling.

The alpha barked once and they all flooded the forest, giving new hope to the other wolves.

As their alphas joined them, everyone continued fighting. Dimitri was still ripping through skin-walkers effortlessly, thirsty to see their deaths.

Sara killed another skin-walker when several wolves ran over and started helping them out.

"Sara, find Jason!" Sage mind-linked her.

Sara ran off, once again, hunting for Jason. It only took her fifteen more minutes to find him.

She skidded to a halt and shifted back, she slowly walked forward. She didn't care she was naked, the need to see him was too over whelming for her to care.

She clapped her hand over her mouth when she got close enough. He was sagging against the chains, his eyes were closed, his chest was still, not showing any sign of him breathing, and it was silent.

It was a beautiful scene in a dark way, the moon behind him, shining silver light around his limp body.

The sounds of the war going on just a few miles behind her were muffled as she stared at him.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she walked forward and knelt before him. She quickly broke the chains and caught him as he fell onto her. She gently cradled him and felt his neck for a pulse.

More tears ran down her cheeks as she let out a loud sob. Her arms tightened around him as she hugged him close to her. His blood covered her, but she didn't care anymore.

He was dead.

Jason was dead.