~ Summer of 2002 ~

My sister and I used to run up to Blare Hill, racing each other to reach the peak. The wild grass would sway around us, reaching up to our waists. We would feel the light summer breeze whistling past our skin, creating a carefree and joyous atmosphere. I will always remember the time we spent together every summer, and even though tomorrow marks the start of middle school, and today is the last day of summer, it doesn't change the memories I have created on this hill.

When we were younger, our father brought us here, as a secret surprise. It had been a special place he used to come to when he was a child as well. Father described it as a place of wonder. Were all your questions to be answered? He promised it would be the perfect getaway for your mind and now he was passing this place to us.

The hill was a few miles from the house. We would have to cross a little bridge and walk along a small trail filled with wildflowers, hanging vines, and tall willow trees. It seemed as if we were in one of Mom's fairytales especially when the seasons were shifting. Spring and Autumn were the greatest times to walk through here. It had the effect of transporting you to a world that only existed in books.

Father had asked what we treasured the most about this place. Maleen, my sister, answered, "Daddy, I love how you can see the ocean from the peak of the hill." I smiled contently because Maleen was right. There wasn't one spot that was not revealed or hidden from us. The ocean formed reflections of beauty, bouncing that exquisiteness into every direction. I told him; "I love how the sky meets the hill and twirls the grass with such domination. It gives me the power I never knew." My heart fluttered with joy after I told my father how I had felt.

He also asked us what we wanted the most to enchant our secret place. Maleen and I looked enthusiastically at each other and said, "A swing." Father laughed. His laughter echoed into the distance. He kissed us both on our cheeks and promised.

The next few days I anxiously watched my father build us two perfect wooden seats. I admire his devotion. When he was finished, I watched as he climbed to the highest point of the tree and securely tied our wooden swings. It was the most mesmerizing and I haven't forgotten any of it. Mother compared us to two angels swinging and staring down at the world with veneration.

Now here we were, August 31, 2001. One of the best days of my life. This day only comes once a year and its mine's and my sister's birthday. We were three years apart. I was originally supposed to be born on September 9th, but I was lucky enough to be born right on my sister's birthday. Being born on the same day made us inseparable. Each year we would spend our birthday here. Gazing up at the cloudless sky, dancing like garden fairies, and singing the sound of music at the top of our lungs. The most thing we enjoyed doing was laughing and taking memorable pictures to put in our scrapbook. Each year that passed swayed differently. The changes in our faces, the maturity in our eyes, and the growing beauty that sings in every photo.

"Suri . . . what's wrong? Are you alright?" Her expression changed as she gazed at me worriedly. Why would she be worried? I was so content, full of life.

"Maleen," I exclaimed, feeling a sudden surge of curiosity. She turned around and noticed my inquisitive expression, and without hesitation, she approached me. As she sat down, she placed the brand-new Polaroid camera that had been given to her by our grandmother on her lap. Her eyes met mine, brimming with excitement.

"Oh, I am fine, you worry too much," I said waving off her worries.

"It's my job silly. You are far too young to be stressed." She smiled.

"Yes, and you are much older to be going through difficulties." I shot back.

"Actually . . ." she paused to make a funny face and said, "I am starting high school tomorrow and don't you remember?" She poked my side. "I just got my period like seven months ago and I happened to be on it today."

"Oh ew," I laughed cringing away. "Still," I objected.

She shook her head playfully and poked my stomach. "If you are alright, what's up?" She wondered, lifting her camera and taking a picture of me.

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Once again, I am fine, just a little . . . curious," I assured her.

Maleen chuckled lightly, her beautiful eyes glistering brightly. "You are always a curious kitten, ask me your curiosity."

"I wonder," I paused for a second, holding her camera in mid-air. "Do you think the sky has a limit?"

She gawked at me for a second and then gazed up at the blue sky. For a moment we observed the clouds moving with the light breeze, shifting them east as they dissipated gradually. "It doesn't dear sister. There could never be a limit. The sky is liberal and dominant and most of all, it is powerful." She answered me without looking at me.

"Really?"

"Of course," Maleen smiled down at me. "Just like there is no limit to numbers, there is no limit to the sky."

I gazed out into the horizon, as it seemed to travel on forever. Maleen was right and I believed every word she said. She was my sister and always told me the truth. The sky is a beautiful rose bush that blooms freely or a cool waterfall that flows without question.

"Do you believe the sky is the place we will go to when we die?" I asked her. She snapped another picture purging her lips.

"Well . . ." She trailed off. I waited, hoping she had an answer. "I assume. Don't our souls have to go somewhere?" She grinned. "I believe that's where Grandpa drifted too."

"Hmm, is that why the sky is so beautiful?" I smiled.

"Most certainly," she agreed, her eyes sparking with the sun.

I exhaled deeply as I reclined against the blanket that had been spread out on the lush green grass. My gaze fixed on the boundless sky, as I watched the clouds drift by in an eternal rhythm. The familiar warmth of the gentle breeze swept over me, causing my skin to prickle with goosebumps, and I closed my eyes, reveling in the feeling of complete relaxation. The sweet fragrance of summer enveloped me, permeating through every fiber of my being and etching this moment in my heart forever. This place was an integral part of me, and I belonged to it just as much as it belonged to me.

A contented smile spread across my lips as I heard Maleen's camera click, and her footsteps recede into the distance. Soon, I was lost in a tranquil reverie, with a melody echoing in my mind. . .