Chapter eight ~ Bleeding Heart

It was Friday morning and we all stood quietly in the ultrasound room. May was resting silently on the bed staring off into space. When she woke this morning she appeared like a complete zombie. Nothing cheered her up. Not even the breakfast Mom and Liz prepared to boost her energy. David did his best to calm her tears but his attempts were useless. She tore by the fact that Daisy was stripped from her life.

May's doctor walked in, smiles and all. She patted May's thigh, trying to wipe the frown off her face. "How are we doing today?" Doctor Chua asked as she took a seat on the stool beside May. "You don't seem happy." She pressed.

"Complications," May said and left it at that.

"Well be happy darling. Today the day you find out what you're having, defiantly a reason to smile sweetheart." She continued. May halfheartedly smiled and waited. The doctor squirted some gel on her stomach and began the ultrasound process.

My heart swelled as I caught a glimpse my niece or nephew perfect head. That was absolutely David's head. My sister couldn't help but smile as the doctor pointed at the baby's hand, foot the nose. She suddenly fell silent as something in the monitor caught attention. I wonder what it could be. She rotated her head confused and even moved closer to see what ever caught attention.

"Ohhh," she said after a long debate she had with her self silently. "Interesting . . ." She trailed off amazed at what she was gazing at.

"What?" May said losing her patients.

"I think . . ." The doctor said holding her finger up. I glanced at Derek and his eyes widen with joy. I squeezed his hand leaning closer to him.

"Will you say it already?" May squeaked.

"I believe you are having twins my dear." She pitched her chin and nodded sure of her self. "Yes, I see the other child moving behind your baby girl and what I see is boy behind her." The doctor conformed nodding her head agreement.

"Yay," I sang. I knew it was a girl, just not twins.

"Twins," May spoke in disbelief. Her head rest back on the bed and she bit her bottom lip. He faced flushed bright red and she glanced up at David. His expression altered into the happiest man alive. He leaned down to kiss May repeatedly on the forehead contently. He murmured twins more to him self then to her.

Dad and Mr. Sachar patted each other on the back, celebrating the big news. My mom and Mrs. Sachar were jumping in pure joy hugging delighted.

"Congratulations Maleen." She wiped off the extra gel that lingered on May's stomach. "Ill have your ultra sound pictures momentarily." She touched May's stomach softly and then exited the room.

"It looks like we were baby sitting double time." Derek joked before kissing my cheek and leaving to give his brother a man hug. I smirked at that because they will defiantly have us baby sitting.

The joyous feeling never touched May as it touched us. She sat up miserably, pulling down her shirt. Her gaze remained anguished, glaring holes into the floor. Her eyes seem distance coated in hopelessness. Not one single smile formed as our family celebrated with the news of her twins. I couldn't either. I could sense this mental suffering even if she pretended she was alright.

"May . . ." I began touching her arm softly. "Are you alright?"

"I think I am going to be sick." She groaned through her teeth. "I want to go home, NOW!" She shouted over the blissful moment my family was having. The room fell silent as they took in the forming tornado ready to cause destruction if they continued to celebrate.

"My friends, my best friends, they are missing. Doesn't anyone even care I am suffering here?" May buried her face into her palms and the normal sobs of the day began to play.