Chapter ten ~ Fresh Start

-Gregory

   When I use to be a young boy, I had many friends. I lived with my parents and my younger sister Amber. We were both perfect students and were loved by everyone. It sounds too good to be true, right? Well now I'm kind of starting to believe that. Everything I once lived, it seemed so foreign and distance to what I live now. My life has changed drastically and it has made me disappointed that I have to live this way.

   Five years ago, when my brother returned from some camp for troubled boys, our life started going down hill. He began doing things that could register under the category of abominable. Putting our family through disgrace until he did the most unthinkable violation I could ever imagine. He dared to burn down a historical paper mill in Boston. My father was appalled by his behavior and couldn't take another minute of it. Mother backed him up like always. Maybe she was hoping, deep down, he'd change. Dad knew other wise. My parents would fight constantly about him until my father drew the line and stated he crossed it. That's when father put an end to their marriage and filed for a divorce. He left taking my sister so they can live across the country, away from my brother. I haven't seen them since.

   My brother was charged with first degree murder since the security guard was killed from the fire and was locked into a mental institution. I had to admit, it made me sad to see him end up that way but the boy had problems no one understood. What confused me was that he talked and acted like a normal human being and acted like my brother. I just don't know what gets into him. 

   Now here I was in a new town because of his dilemmas. I had to begin in a new town and new high school, new everything. Not that I would miss my previous school. I time went by I started to have very few friends. Most of the kids in school stayed clear of my path since I was blooded related to a Sysco path. Although I didn't care, that's the only part I wouldn't miss. What I would miss was the bright lights, the freedom and creativity Boston had to offer me. It was the place I could call home. Not anymore. My mother believed it was a splendid idea to move back to her home town. I thought it was stupid. I grew to love Boston. Now I am forced to live in a small pitiful town in Rhode Island. But I had to agree with my mother, she was right in so many ways. Maybe I can start over, make new friends and have a better life. I lived to long with my face buried in shame.

   I drove to the dreadful school I would hopefully spend my last two years of high school in. I parked in the closest parking I could find by the school. I was baffled at how enormous the school was. I thought mom was exaggerating when she told me it was like a university. I quickly shut the engine off and hopped out of my car and masked my best poker face. With out hesitation, I headed towards my doom. Instantly people began to stare at me with an odd expression. I notice some girls marking me as fresh meat. This place-it resembled a movie scene. The division of group: the jocks, the popular ladies, cheerleaders, nerds, Goths, ordinary people, weirdoes, etc. This place was outrageous.

Second thought, I wanted to jump in my car and ditch this place.

Yeah right! My mom would kill me and torture me with home school. Never! I dug my hands into my pocket and continued to walk towards the front entrance. I halted in place when a small pixie blonde headed girl stopped in my tracks.

"Hello handsome . . ." she said seductively. I took a step back. Her eyes were striking green and had a body any girl would die for. I would defiantly label this girl as Easy A.

"Hi," I replied.

"You are new here?" She said sweetly this time.

Thanks for stating the oblivious. I thought to myself. "Yes I am." I said.

"I'm Stacy, class president, ruler of the school." She mumbled the last part in a quiet laughter.

"Seems like your powerful." I joked. Note to self: stay away from the wicked queen of the east. I purged my lips when her eyes narrowed on me like a deadly cobra. "I'm Gregory Cole." I introduce formally holding out my hand.