Chapter 5

The Tempest

"Kayla, I need you to stand back by- a lot," Ray warned, gravely.

Kayla did as she was told and took around 80 steps back. John recited: "Vis Ager!" and a diamond-colored barrier formed around her. Shaped like a dome, she knew she'd be safe inside of it.

"Thank you, John," Ray said gratefully. John nodded.

"Alright everyone, get ready!" he alerted the others.

Without warning, the Thunder Bros. initiated their attack. Lightning reacted first by sending hundreds of bolts at the team. Ray crossed his arms and a wall made of pure rock rose in front of them all. The wall exploded from a single shock wave attack from Thunder.

Next, the brothers launched a full frontal assault. The Celestials scattered: Jerry and Yin went left, John and Yang to the right, and Ray to the middle. The Thunder Bros. completely ignored the other members and broke straight for Ray.

The too agile brothers threw relentless punches at Ray. He tried his best to hold them off, but they were too quick together. Lightning caught him with a blow to his right shoulder and Thunder on his left chest. Another punch from Lightning had Ray on the ground. Yin and Yang took the opportunity to take on the Thunder Bros. themselves and, as Ray predicted, they defended against the twins in unison.

Yin and Yang didn't fare any better either. The Thunder Bros. somehow managed to isolate them both and gang up on the twins individually, the way they had done Ray. Yang was the first to succumb to their strength and Yin kissed the ground after. Jerry and John watched in awe. Jerry acted first by throwing his hatchet at the Thunder Bros. as John recited a spell.

The hatchet multiplied into a few hundred- all flying towards the brothers. Naturally, they split up to avoid the swarm. As the hatchets flew past, they circled around and chased after their targets again at a faster rate. They surrounded the Thunder Bros. and vanished; Jerry's hatched returned to his hand. John's exploding bubbles, from the training session, now had the assailants entrapped.

"Oh look, they disguised the bubbles with an illusion," Lightning said, coy. "He's more of a magician than I thought."

Ray, Yin, and Yang got on their feet and beheld their trapped opponents. So, John was able to combine two spells into one, Ray thought. He turned to Yang and told him: "Do it."

Yang grinned from ear to ear, saying, "It will be my pleasure." He flicked his finger and tossed a tiny flame toward the bubbles. The flame made its mark and the bubbles exploded simultaneously, creating a shower of sparks. The Thunder Bros. stood plain and tall after the explosion, actually smiling.

"What a neat little trick," said Lightning. "I never would have guessed the bubbles exploded upon impact. That actually stung a little."

"He's no ordinary magician, that's for sure," Thunder replied. "And the silver-haired guy isn't as bad as I thought either," he said of Jerry.

Of course that didn't work, Ray thought. Man! Working together just still isn't enough.

"Now it's our turn," Lightning informed the Celestials as they reunited. The Thunder Bros. jumped back and Lightning raised his fist and formed a spear-like shape out of pure lightning. He hurled it at the Celestials and it burst near their feet, sending sparks shooting from the ground.

"Man, I wish I could do that," Jerry said while picking himself up. Thunder raised his hand and began to focus energy into it. Ray sensed danger was near and shouted to his friends: "Everyone scatter!" The Celestials obeyed and an explosion erupted near where they just stood, accompanied by the obvious sound of thunder. "And that," Jerry said.