Chapter 7

The Eye and the Surge

An underground cave stood beneath the battle field. Within the walls of this cave, Kayla and the Celestials took a moment to gather themselves. Battered, exhausted, and overwhelmed, no one spoke for a solid two minutes, staring into a fire Yang lit. Ray spoke first.

"That was pretty rough," he laughed. His humor led the others to relax and laugh the matter off themselves.

Kayla walked over to him and said: "It wasn't very fun for me." She smiled and followed with: "If I were helping, we would have beaten them."

"How?" Ray asked, smiling.

"With my beauty and charm, of course," Kayla joked, generating more laughter.

"On a more serious note, I thought your teamwork was doing fine," she assured everyone.

"It sure didn't feel like it," Jerry lamented. John added:

"Who knew Thunder could be that strong alone?"

"You're right- they are both powerful alone," Ray remarked, "but they are not unstoppable."

Yang scowled at the comment. "Have you not been paying attention? Even our best isn't good enough for 'em!"

"But they have weaknesses," Ray enlightened. "Kayla: what did you see during the fight? Think closely."

"Well," Kayla said, "I did notice Thunder liked to show off about being invulnerable. Then there was that time he got angry...... Lightning gave him a look and his whole demeanor changed..."

"That's what I noticed, too," said Ray.

"What does it mean exactly?" John asked.

"It means I have a hunch," Ray answered. "I think they can communicate with each other through telepathy. That's how come their teamwork is so flawless."

"Of course!" said John. "That explains how they're able to remain so in-tune; they talk each other through everything."

"And that also explains why Thunder regained his composure so suddenly," Yang inserted.

"But," Kayla continued, "I also noticed that Thunder didn't take as much care to avoid everyone's attacks as he did with Yang's."

Yin raised an eyebrow. "Now that you mention it- you're right," she said.

"Yin hit him with some pretty strong moves, and he didn't so much as flinch!" Jerry added.

"The creep was just trying to show off by dodging me," Yang spat.

"That's true," said Ray, "but it was only when you used fire-based attacks. Other than that, he had no problem with being physical with you."

"And what does that mean, exactly?" Yang asked in retort.

"What it means is that your fire may actually be his Trojan horse."

Everyone in the cave drew their breath at the same time. "Is that true?" Yang asked. "Do the Thunder Bros. really have a weakness?" Ray winked.

"How? Tell us!" Yin pleaded. So, Ray began:

"I had a theory the whole time, and the Thunder Bros. provided me with some evidence. Like you, Yin and Yang, they have an infinite supply of power in reserve. However, they are totally different from you..."

"How?" the twins urged in unison.

"I believe that, unlike you two, they are literally an embodiment of their elements. You are both able to change your state and revert into water and fire at will, if needed. But the Thunder Bros. actually are thunder and lightning incarnate! That would explain why the two of you will fatigue from an extended battle and they don't: they aren't flesh and bone the way you are."