Chapter 10

Oblivion

"Looks like I missed out on quite a day," Ray complemented. Jerry and the others made it back to the castle the same time as Ray. He and Yin were still walking arm-in-arm and John and Yang were chatting away. Seeing the unity of his teammates made Ray's heart leap with joy.

"Yeah," Jerry said. "We should have done this sooner."

"I'll say; Yang actually looks happy for a change," said Ray. Three of the four laughed and Yang smirked.

"I don't look any happier than Kayla has lately," Yang shot back.

"Touché," Ray said.

They all entered the castle and Ray separated from the group and headed to the throne room. King Jeremy sat on his throne enjoying grapes when Ray walked in. He pat the arm rest of Ray's throne, sitting to his left, and Ray sat.

"How was the day, nephew?" the king asked.

"It was nice," Ray answered. "Kayla and I went out on a picnic."

King Jeremy offered Ray grapes, which he accepted. "I have noticed you have been spending a lot of time with Mikayla lately. Hector just can't seem to stop talking about it."

Something about that statement made Ray happy, for some reason. "We're just friends, Uncle."

"Of course," King Jeremy said, winking.

****

Ren's castle had been made whole again, and the Darkai stood near his throne. The usual red glow from around the corners of the room flashed more intensely, casting an eerie illumination. Since the Thunder Bros. destruction, three days prior, Ren spent every waking moment experimenting with his newfound power.

Ren opened his hand and a misty cloud of shadows swallowed it. The cloud of shadows writhed and thrashed about as though it was alive. Pterrol watched, excitedly, as the shadows danced around Ren, circling his whole body before returning to the shape of a ball inside his palm.

"Isn't it beautiful, Pterrol?" he asked his minion.

"Yes, my Lord," Pterrol screeched.

"This is the ultimate level of the Dark Side," Ren explained, continuing to play with the shadow mass. "For one to summon and control Darkness to such extent is truly remarkable- there isn't another Darkai on Earth to achieve this level of power!"

"And soon all shall feel your Might, my Lord!" Pterrol cheered. "All nations shall bow to your Will. And every Mekai will be crushed by your Power!"

Ren closed his hand and extinguished the Darkness. "Ever since I've disposed of Yin and Yang, Darkness has swelled within me even greater, day after day.

"The creation of the recent Thunder Bros., then, showed me how much becoming a demon ascended my power- and the result was far greater than I could have ever imagined!"

"Yes, Lord- they were tons better than the originals; and you didn't almost die while creating them!"

"All true," Ren bragged. "However, I require one final test."

Pterrol looked at him, confused. "A test?"

"Yes, Pterrol; the Thunder Bros. were merely the first test. This time I require something much greater, something more- evil."

Pterrol grinned as far as his beak could stretch. "What is it you have in mind, my Lord: another fearsome duo? A new army? A new, more powerful sibling?"

Ren simply said, "Oblivion."

"But sir-!" Pterrol's eyes were nearly the size of a mace's head.