Chapter 9

Moment's Reprieve

Ray awakened one night to a sharp and agonizing pain. What started in his chest spread rapidly through his entire body. It felt as though he ran smack into a stone wall. He couldn't think of anything he felt in all of his sixteen years to compare to the pain he experienced.

His suffering only endured for a solid minute, though it felt longer. He got out of bed and walked out onto the balcony of his room. The rooftops of Central Kingdom glistened cheerfully under the full moon's light. Central Kingdom's church stood facing Ray's room. A bright ruby cross shone gaily, engraved atop the central tower of the cathedral. Ray always felt a sense of tranquility when looking upon that cross; it was therapeutic.

That time is drawing near, he thought to himself as a warm breeze brushed against his skin. The summer solstice is within a few weeks, and our final battle is approaching. Can you sense it too, Ren?

****

Ray met Kayla outside of her house the next day, around noon. Her sister stood outside with her and Ray knew Hector couldn't be very far away. Twenty-four years of age, she was slightly taller yet bore the same caramel skin, brown eyes, and black hair as Kayla. She had shorter hair reaching just past her ears, though.

"So, you're the Mekai boy I've been hearing about," she addressed, warmly. "I pictured you a little taller, though."

"I get that a lot," Ray replied. He extended his hand to her. She put her hand in his and he kissed it. "I'm Ray."

"Quite the gentleman; I'm Forehead's big sister, Benita," she joked. Kayla softly nudged her in the arm. That's when Ray noticed Benita's stomach- she was with child.

"It's nice to finally meet you too, Benita. Kayla talks about you a lot."

"Kayla?" Benita gasped, sarcastically. "He's calling you 'Kayla' now? My, my, my!"

"Benita- shouldn't you be with Gabriel right now," Kayla snapped.

"Oh right- the marriage card," Benita said with an eye roll. "I guess I'll leave you two lovebirds alone."

"Benita!"

"Alright, alright- I'm gone. And don't worry about Daddy Dear. I'll make sure he doesn't ruin your courtsh- I mean- day."

Kayla mouthed "thank you" to her sister, who simply winked and walked back into the house. When she did, a curtain Ray didn't even notice was open suddenly closed.

"Well, that was- interesting," Ray said, clearing his throat.

"I'd very much like to leave, now," Kayla blushed.

"Oh right, 'Forehead'," Ray teased. He laughed and Kayla playfully punched him in the arm. She chased him off the grounds of the Koral Estate, both laughing along the way.

****

"Hey! Yang! I think it's time we made some magic today. Don't you?"

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, John?"

"Sure am."

John and Yang whispered to each other, discreetly. They had been watching Jerry and Yin look at each other and then look away for a whole five minutes. Someone had to make a move and it was obvious neither of them were going to do it.

"So, what's the plan?" Yang whispered.

"There is a lot of beautiful scenery on the outskirts of the city," John answered, "and a lot of beautiful country side. Some of those places would be a good place for sparks to fly."