Chapter 6

After the shock wore off, an untimely hunger made my stomach growl. I noticed there were golden platters of fruit set before the Lingam statue. I crawled towards the goodies and inhaled the sweet-scented lotuses. The fresh fragrance relaxed me a little, and I helped myself with the juicy fruit. I guess if I were going to die here, I might as well die with my stomach full.

After my hunger subsided, I shoved some ripe bananas and other odd fruit that looked like apricots into my brown bag. My ears caught a faint sound of faraway footsteps. Some rushing movements and voices came from the base of the temple.

I quickly got up and took a peek to the ground. From the main staircase leading up to the top, a troop of shirtless men climbed the steep stairs. They wore red silk clothes around their waists. Some of them wore golden collars and belts around their bodies. In their hands were long sharp spears and swords. I wiped my mouth of the juices and turned back with wide eyes.

Oh no, people are coming! What am I going to do?

My eyes darted for a good hiding place but found none. The fear of getting caught stealing the offerings scared me senseless.

Then about ten bulky brown men appeared at the top at last. They looked like ancient soldiers. Four of them dressed in white silk robes with sewn bags hanging from their shoulders. But by then, I had dove behind the giant Lingam to hide.

"Master! I swear I did see a brilliant light coming from the sky,!" I heard one of them spoke.

"Are you sure you're not mistaken?" the other man sounded astonished.

I frowned and then I remembered what happened. I got pulled towards the eclipse by the light of the Moonstone —that must be what they saw.

But then I covered a gasp of realization with my hand. Oh my god, I could understand them! I was pretty sure they didn't speak English, and I didn't know ancient Khmer or Sanskrit, but now every word made sense in my head as if I was born with it.

I sneaked a peek at them from behind the pillar-like statue. Another older man followed up to the top. He had trouble catching his breath. They helped him walking towards the statue. He seemed rather important. He dressed in pure white. Four of them had long gray hair pulled up in a bun. The rest of the soldiers waited by the temple's steps, guarding.

"Yes, master, I swear over the Lingam of Lord Shiva," the same man said with vehemence. "I was fully awake when I witnessed a huge column of brightness descended from heavens!"

"Good lord, this is a good sign!" the old man breathed. "We must pray to thank the Lord."

While I was lost in my thoughts, a betraying apricot rolled out of my satchel and bounced away. I squeezed my eyes shut in despair.

"Who's there?" a harsh voice yelled out.

I was trembling when a pair of strong hands grabbed my shoulders and pulled me out of my hiding place. I flinched and struggled against their grips.

"Why on earth is there a girl on the temple?" said one of the white-robbed men as everybody stared at me in bewilderment.

The oldest man came forward and scrutinized me under his intense gaze. He looked at my face and then rubbed his wrinkled eyes as if to get a better look at me.

Then his mouth fell open and the color drained off his face. He almost looked frightened. The old man stepped back, causing the others to do the same.

"Tell me, young one, how did you get here?" the old man asked.

"I...I...er...don't know," I stuttered. "Please, let me go. I didn't mean to steal the fruit. I just woke up in the pit down there and had to climb my way back then I got hungry..."