Chapter 26

I sat by the fire brazier with Kesar. She was tending to the burn on my upper left arm. I hadn't realized I got burned until then.

"My lady, your injury has worsened," Kesar said. "You might need to drink some of the divine Soma."

"I thought it was just a minor burn. Is it that bad?" I asked, wincing a little when Kesar applied some more cooling balm on it.

"A holy drink is more effective since you were burned by no ordinary flames," Kesar said.

"It was no ordinary flame all right! It burst out from Morokot's freaking hand!"

"Lady Morokot was given the gift of fire," Kesar told me. "It's the five-colored flames of Lord Agni. I am amazed that you were unaware of the pain, but you may fall ill if we leave the wound untended."

Now that Kesar mentioned it, I noticed the stinging pain had indeed sharpened. It felt like a snakebite.

"Well, I could use the holy drink now," I said with a grimace.

Kesar turned to a maid and asked for the Soma Juice. The maid came back with a golden tray and the nectar in its golden cup.

After I downed the sweet delicious cool drink, my pain and fatigue dissolved. The burned skin began to itch and heal itself. The reddish patch turned into a healthy tone again.

"It worked like a charm, Kesar! Look, it's all healed!" I said and smiled at her. She smiled back, looking at my arm in relief.

"I'm glad you feel better, my lady."

"Kesar, I didn't know what I would do without you," I said. "You're truly my guardian angel!"

With the boost of the holy juice, I leaned over and planted my wet lips on her cheek. Kesar stared at me then turned her face away. I blinked.

"Are you alright?"

She just nodded though she still didn't look at me. I realized what it meant and wanted to kick myself. Must I always be that stupid? Then I tried to think up something to change her gloomy mood.

"By the way, Kesar, I have hardly seen you with your wings until this evening. I would like to look at them again. Do you mind showing me?"

The maiden's eyes drifted back to my face but then she shook her head.

"There's nothing to see, my lady," she murmured.

"Oh please? Just a little look?" I said in a pleading voice.

Kesar was still silent.

"You know, I just want to compare you with my drawing," I said again.

"Your drawing?"

"Yes, I drew you," I said and turned around to retrieve my bag then got my drawing pad out. "Here it is!"

I showed Kesar the portrait of herself. She looked at it for a few minutes then gazed back at me. Her dark brown eyes glittered with emotions.

"My lady drew me?" she said almost in a whisper. I nodded back with a smile. Kesar brushed her fingers over my sketch as if it was priceless to her.

"It's beautiful," she breathed at last.

"You are beautiful," I said. "You should not be embarrassed about your true form."

Kesar was quiet for a long moment. Then she rose from the seat. I looked up at her as she backed away and the air around her body began to twirl into a whiff of gold dust.

Her skin shimmered with bright light. Then a pair of golden wings sprang out from behind her back. Kesar's beautiful wings extended almost two meters long. Her lower half was coated with sleek brilliant plume. Each feather sparkled against the firelight, dazzling me.