Chapter 16

After I realized that my mysterious maiden was actually the princess of this kingdom, I wasn't sure whether I was flirting with death or with destiny. She could have reported me and gotten me chained if she wanted to, but for some reason, she didn't. Her face blushed under my stare, and I had a feeling that the princess wasn't as angry as she was shy.

"Amarisa, my dear, will you come and join us for supper?" the King spoke to his daughter. The princess bowed politely and walked towards the royal table. She sat down beside her mother and Queen Jayara. The music changed melodies into another soothing song. Everyone continued their feast.

Tusita peered sideways at my face.

"You look like you want to bed the princess right then and there," she whispered.

I tore my eyes from Amarisa and looked at her with open mouth.

"W-what? No!"

She laughed.

"You're not alone," she said and patted my hand. "We've been trying to get her attention for ages but failed miserably."

"And that really broke my poor little heart beyond repair," Atith whined again. He rubbed his chest as if he was actually in physical pain. I noticed Atith was still wearing his golden armor under his glittering tunic.

"Get over it, Atith," Tusita said. "You know the princess is not for you. She's not even an ordinary girl herself."

"Is she unusual too?" I asked.

"Well, when Queen Indradevi was pregnant with the princess," Tepi said to change the subject. "She dreamed of a dazzling Jorani stone, which was handed over to her by a mighty serpent king. The Hora predicted the possibility of the birth to be an incarnation of the Naga princess."

"Who?" I said.

"In the legend of our origin, the Naga Princess was the first ruler of this promising land," she said. "Then there was a foreign prince from another kingdom coming from the sea. Fearing of an invasion, the princess sent out her army. They fought but the Nagas lost in the battle. Some talking and courtship later, the foreign prince married the Naga Princess and made her his Queen then they founded the first empire that lasted for a thousand years."

"That is why Princess Amarisa is dear to the whole kingdom. She is the pride of the Naga race."

My head turned back to the royal table. The princess was nodding to something her mother was saying, but when she noticed me, her huge sparkling eyes glared back as if she was still mad about what happened in the bathhouse.

The thought of our shared moment floated into my mind. The surreal sensation of our tongues fighting each other made me weak in the knees. The memory brought a smile to my face, which caused Amarisa to glare at me even more.

Suddenly, Issarak stood up from his table. He bowed in respect to the King and Queens, before turning around to clear his throat for attention. The hall quieted down as everyone turned to look at him.

"Your Majesties, we would like to thank you for your glorious feast tonight," he said with a humble bow. "But as you can see before you, we have a strange company among us."

"Her name is Nikita," Tepi said, trying not to sound too defensive in front of the monarchs.

"Nikita, of course," Issarak decided he finally remembered it. "As you can see, the girl was sent here as the Hora had foretold. Yet for some mysterious reason, we do not know whether she is the one we have been waiting for. She does not share our divine blood nor is she akin to our countrymen. Therefore, I would like to propose a special game to prove her quality as a leader. If she is indeed a Destined Child who will guide the Seven Race of the Nagas, I believe she shall have to prove her worth with a few challenges, Your Majesties."

The King listened and then turned to his two royal wives. Queen Jayara didn't say anything, but her younger sister rose from her seat.

"Please enlighten me, young avatar," Queen Indradevi said. "What leads you to this conclusion?"

"Truth be told, your majesty," Issarak bowed again. "We are not convinced that she is the Prophesied Child at all."

"So you mean our Oracle's prediction is worthless?" Atith said.

"You should be thankful for my suggestion," Issarak said. "Because if she's not the right person, we shall know through the game, and thus saving us from the false hope."

Tusita wanted to say something, but Tepi stopped her with a shake of her head.

"Well, I'm not sure whether this is wise to do so," the Queen spoke again. "I must consult this with our Guru."

She turned to the elephant-headed man, Sambo, who was busy chomping on a large slice of watermelon.

"What do you think of this proposal?"

The avatar of Ganesh shoved the last bite of his watermelon, skin and all, into his mouth. He swallowed and wiped his lips under his elephant trunk and bowed to the Queen.

"Yes, my Queen," he said. "I think the gods must be hinting this special idea to us. Take it as an opportunity to enforce our training. I believe the newcomer shall benefit from this experience."

Atith and Tusita groaned. Tepi just sighed.

The monarchs nodded in agreement.

"Then I entrust you with the preparation of the game," the Queen decided. "You have the right to choose the tasks for our avatars. It's also a chance to see your military improvement over the years."

"As you wish, your majesty," Sambo said with a bow again, and it was settled.

Later in the evening, after a series of songs from the Mohoris and Mohoras, the bronze gong sounded, signaling the end of the feast.

We went back to our own houses. Honestly, I was scared about the upcoming game, but when I thought of the chance of seeing the princess again, I no longer wanted to leave. I wanted to prove myself worthy of Amarisa's attention, too.