Chapter 29

I walked back to my chamber and found Kesar sitting on the edge of my bed. She was folding my clothes, neatly stacking them on top of the others.

I stopped by the doorway and watched the Kennari in silence. She was placing some blooming jasmines between the fabrics to make them smell good. I realized no one could take care of me the way Kesar could. But once in a while, I heard her sniff as if she had been crying.

"Kesar?" I called out to her and took a few steps forward. The maiden frantically wiped her eyes before turning around.

"Yes, my lady?" She bowed. I went and pulled her up by the arms. Kesar still kept her eyes down, yet I could see tears glimmering over her damp lashes.

"You cried?" I asked, tipping her chin up. Kesar tilted her head away.

"Dirt got into my eyes, that is all," she said and tried to smile. Before I could speak, she turned to grab the pile of folded clothes and carried them over to the wooden chest. I shrugged off my bag and followed her. Kesar kept arranging stuff around as I stood there.

"Kesar," I said. "I know how you feel."

Kesar stopped her chore for a moment, but she still didn't turn to me. I couldn't endure her silence treatment any longer and spun her around to face me. She stared into my eyes in surprise. Then I encompassed my arms around the maiden.

"My lady, what are you doing?" Kesar said in a startled voice, but I kept holding her in my arms.

"Kesar, I know you're angry and hurt. It upsets me greatly," I said. "I'm sorry for all this but I just can't help these untamed feelings, please, you must understand!"

She went silent for a moment.

"Of course, I do understand you," Kesar said softly. "I dare not in my life blame you for anything. I must have done too little good deeds in my past to deserve you."

I released her from my embrace.

"You deserve someone who loves you true, Kesar," I said. "I'm not the one for you."

The maiden looked up, and after a moment, she smiled again.

"I can see that the princess and you shall be the best of all pairs," she said. "Who am I to deny the harmony of this fated love?"

"Harmony? Love?" I scoffed. "I don't see the faintest of such! I wish she knew how much I am being in love with her. "

"Soon, my lady, I promise you, or else you can punish me, Princess Amarisa desires you more than your eyes can see."

I stared at her a while longer.

"Kesar, tell me truly, will our friendship remain unchanged?"

The maiden dropped her gaze and nodded.

"As long as you still have needs of me," she said but then she sighed, "Though I must confess the arrows of Kama are just as cruel to me as they are to you."

"The arrows of who?" I arched my eyebrows at her. "What are you talking about, Kesar?"

"Nothing, my lady, you must be tired from the lesson," she said with a smile again. "Allow me to prepare your bath and serve your meal."

Before I could say anything else, Kesar bowed and turned away, leaving the room.

~*~

Tepi and Atith came to my chamber and woke me up at a foolishly early dawn. I didn't feel ready to get out of the comfort of my bed yet, but with some dragging and pulling from the maids, I managed to get dressed. Kesar wasn't in the chamber though. She seemed to avoid me now, but I needed to let her be and hoped she would come back to me when she felt better.