Chapter 83

I returned to the encampment and resumed my training with the other avatars again. Bearing the brightest smile I could muster, I greeted my friends. They welcomed me with open arms. No one suspected any change in my emotions. Even the ever-observing Vorac could not read through my cheery mask. I hid from them so well, I almost convinced myself.

We had ten days to prepare for the final game. I was given a new set of lessons. Tepi, who was more knowledgeable in the wild than the other godlings, tried to teach me about the beast. The animal lived in the thickest jungle of the Jewel Mountain.

The summer unfurled its drowsy petals in the breeze as we sat under a pink Jamun tree by a pristine lake. We discussed who would go in the hunt.

"I know the way of the forest," Tepi said. "I know how to survive with no food or water and how to read the spoor of animals. I am the most fitted to go in the quest."

"I have heard that only the great warriors would hunt the beast to prove their valor in the past," Vorac said.

"How long do you think we will find the king of lions?" I asked. "I want to know what I should prepare for."

Luscious pink Jamuns dropped on the thick grass. The paired birds singing songs atop the tree pulled at my heart. I looked at the tree and felt a strange restlessness. In truth, I just wanted it all to be over.

"It depends on our chance," Tepi said. "The beast, Gajasimha is a gift from Mother Earth herself. The creature is sacred and ever dangerous."

"We're only allowed a small band for the hunt," Atith added. "I do hope you would choose me to go with you, Nikita."

"No, you're useless in the forest. You are reckless and impatient, you might scare off the game," Tusita said with a shake of her head. "Indeed, Nikita must choose me. I am the best archer. No beasts could harm me."

"Gajasimha is no ordinary beast. I won't let you near it!" Vorac protested. The love on her face was bright even her words were harsh. She was just like me, trying to prevent disasters from befalling her lover.

I knew I would do the same for Amarisa to keep her from all harms. The thought of my fair princess plucked my mind like birds peck at dry wounds.

"What in the Seventh Hell are you talking about?!" Tusita cried, looking at her partner in bewilderment. "To think I would not be there to help our friends is a shame!"

Vorac made a noise like a growl, but Tusita was set on her vow. The two girls shared a staring contest for a while until the others sighed. Then they turned to Tepi as if to seek her opinion.

"Vorac shall come along," Tepi decided. "No one could lure out the wild beasts like the daughter of the moon."

"If she must go, I shall too! Isn't that what we have trained for?"

"What about me?" Atith's voice was high with exasperation.

"It is not the time to argue, my friends," Samudra said to calm them. "We have not yet come to the end of the whole matter. There is still work to do."

"Samudra is right," Tepi said. "We need to plan ahead."

"I know your heart is right beside my own, and that you and I are of one mind," Vorac said to Tusita in defeat. "Alright then; I will not make you stay behind. If we are to go together, we shall pass safely through any danger."

Then the two girls wrapped themselves in each other's arms. I remained sitting in silence. How I wished I had their circumstance instead of mine. But I knew I was in the toils of ill-luck, leading a doomed life, and I needed to make sure that Amarisa wouldn't be a part of it.

~*~

Every afternoon, the monarchs came to observe the encampment as always. My mother was still weak from her ailment and could not attend any state affair.

The princess was to care for my sick mother. She wasn't able to follow her parents to the base, yet at nightfall, she did make efforts to chance our encounters. But I made excuses not to see her. I would stay with the avatars from sunrise to sundown.

Sometimes I even joined them in drinking and returned to my chamber with lips and cheeks reddened from the juice. Kesar would run to assist my swaying form by the threshold. She took off the clinging fragrant garland from my neck before she laid me on my bed.

"Did she visit me?" I would ask my maiden the same question without fail. Kesar knew the only person I tried to avoid was the one I longed to see.

"Always," the maiden would reply. The answer pained me and sent my heart shattering like glass.

Amarisa must have come to see me on numerous occasions since that night. She wanted to touch me and love me, not knowing the cruel intention I had for us.

Kesar tried to comfort me during those dark hours, easing my head onto her lap and carding her hand through my hair. She stroked my face, humming soft lullabies until I fell into a deep heartbroken sleep.

I would wake up before daybreak and headed to the training field. Each day I tried to think less and less of my pain.

Together with my friends, I took my lessons more diligently and worked even harder with my sword and shield. I could duel with the avatars all day until I was bruised and exhausted. This was how I coped with my heartbreak. But I still couldn't sleep easily at night. Each hour, I felt myself drifting slowly into a deep emptiness.

One blistering hot afternoon, I was studying a sutra about the creation with the avatars. The center of all the worlds was populated by celestial beings. The majestic milky ocean was a resting place where Vishnu slept. He would only be awakened by the evil chaos on earth. The Lord would then send down his avatars to destroy it.

I could now recite all the names of heavens: Tavatisma, Tusita, and Tritiyana, and the abode of King Indra, Amaravati, and thousands of other gods who sat about his court.

Below the heavens was the blessed Earth. Our world would tumble into the great void of nothingness if it wasn't supported by the hood of Ananta Sesha, the thousand-headed serpent.

Further below the Earth lied the dark realm Naraka, which held many hells for the dead and vicious demons alike. All were imprisoned and punished according to their crimes. The Netherworld was ruled by King Yama, the God of Death and Justice. He passed his judgments to all that came to his court every day and every night.

I was still learning about all those many worlds apart from our own when all of a sudden, Malis leaped into our study hall. She came towards me and sent (yes, still) a small ripple of shock through my chest. The avatars abandoned their lesson and threw themselves at the tiger, patting the big animal in glee.

"Good Malis! Why are you here out of the blue?" Tepi said to the beast.

But the tiger's big yellow eyes only stared at me as she strode forward. I could see in her mouth was a palm leaf letter. Without the slightest doubt, I knew Malis was sent here by her mistress.

My friends were giggling. They thought of our four-legged company was our love messenger. My heart clenched as I retrieved the letter from the tiger's wet maw. I wiped the bit of drool and started reading through the content.

'If you pity my long-suffering soul, beloved of my heart, present yourself at the Asoak Garden by nightfall.'