Chapter 50

It was midnight when I returned to my chamber, but not after sharing a kiss with Amarisa, thanking her for the wonderful outing.

The princess also expressed her desire to spend another day with me before the return of her royal parents. I had insisted that this time it was my turn to surprise her. I had thought of a romantic theme without revealing the details.

"We shall meet again tomorrow at the crack of dawn," I told her.

"Dawn still wouldn't come fast enough," Amarisa replied with a sweet smile. She leaned in to kiss me on my cheek again.

After it was settled, we parted way with the hope of seeing one another again tomorrow.

A lot of things had changed within the last few festive hours. Morokot had declared herself as part of our team. No one objected it so far. Tepi and Raksa also seemed to be in a good talking term, at least, regardless of their bittersweet duel. Atith had forgiven me for claiming Amarisa's heart, and that bit of reflection of the night made me smile.

Everything seemed to go smoothly for the time being — save for a few questions that tried to worm their ways into my head.

Will the love between Amarisa and me be accepted by the King and Queens? What will actually happen if I wield Chandrahas? Or how am I going to win the upcoming Game? I had shown everyone who really I was. I had no power or god-given gifts. Not to mention all the questions that I was too scared to be reminded of.

With a tired sigh, I pushed those unsettling thoughts out of my mind. There was no use overthinking everything all at once.

Stepping inside the confinement of my lantern-lit chamber, several maids came to assist me. They brought wet jasmine-scented towels for me to clean my face and water to wash my hands. I then stepped out of the elegant attire. I was still blushing from the night drinks and felt tingly with floating happiness.

After I shed off all my finery, my mind once again stumbled upon a thought of the veiled maiden.

Who was she? Why did she spy on me and Amarisa? What did she want?

Something about her felt too familiar. The way she observed me with those dark, yet harmless eyes. It was as if she merely wished to see the moment in anonymity rather than to plan any ill-treatment upon us.

Even in the dark, I could still see her sparkling eyes looking at me with tenderness.

No, this can't be. I shook my head to dispel the thought. The mysterious maiden could have been a local thief lurking for some valuable goodies.

As the maids moved about me, I noticed someone was missing.

"Where's Kesar?" I asked, but before they could answer me, Kesar's voice came to me.

"I'm here, my lady."

I turned around to find her in the room.

"How was your night?" she said again.

For some reason, I could hear a hint of nervousness laced through her words. I frowned.

Kesar did not come to me as she normally would. Then I noted her standing posture and how she preferred to be quite far away. I waved to the other maids as a cue to be dismissed. They bowed and left the room.

"My night was grand, Kesar, but I was wondering where you have been earlier," I said, still eyeing the maiden suspiciously.

Kesar nodded back but unable to look me in the eyes. Under my scrutinizing stare, she began to tremble.

"Why are you standing there?" I asked. "I need your help to unclothe me. Come here."

"Aren't you already done undressing?"

"I said come here, Kesar." I looked at her face with steady eyes.

The maiden's nicely arched brows creased over. Yet unable to refuse my request, she began to move forward.

I watched Kesar trying to compose herself with each slow step she took. The way she shifted her weight more to her other foot wasn't missed.

And gradually, I felt the flaring anguish rising from inside my chest. As if she could hear my raging heart, Kesar lifted her face to me. She saw the dark look in my eyes and froze in fear.

"Come closer, Kesar." My voice felt heavy like lead. My ears burned with anger, disappointment, and sadness. They wove into a wet blanket over my shoulders, drenching me with chills.

I stared at the maiden, who obviously tried her hardest to hide her secret. Then Kesar let out a whimper. Her knees buckled over and she collapsed to the floor. It was all it took for me to realize the truth.

She was the veiled maiden I had chased at the festival.

I rushed over to her and grabbed her by the arms. The Kennari looked at my face with shock-filled eyes.

"It was you, wasn't it?" I said in a whisper.

"My lady..." she stammered as the realization dawned on her that I had known all along.

"Oh, Kesar, why?" I spoke in exasperation. "Why did you do this to yourself? Why did you pretend you were fine? You did everything for me tonight even though you were secretly hurting."

"My lady, do not despair over my own doing," she said as tears started to flood her eyes. "I couldn't stop my rebellious heart from wanting to see you happy and fine."

"I'm not happy and fine! I never will be as long as I know you suffer because of me!" I yelled in frustration. "You're hurt, and it's all my fault."

Kesar began to sob. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks, and they dropped on my shirt.

"I know you cannot return my love the way I wish you would," she said in a saddened voice. "I knew from the first night I met you that this unrequited love would cause me feeling like drowning in the deep dark sea and worse yet I cannot die. But I never deem it foolish to care and love you with all my heart."

I shook my head at her helplessly in regret.

"Tell me what I should do to atone myself? How can I take away the pain I have inflicted you? I can't have you perfecting your smile and hide your sorrows. I need to make it stop, Kesar."

"My lady, please! There is nothing in this world that can make me feel otherwise. If...If you don't love me, you can still bed me," she said. "All I want is to be near you and serve you always until my dying breath."

Then the winged maiden hurled herself at me. She threw her arms around my neck. Seized by wild desperation, she kissed me on the lips. I wished I could return her kiss, but if I did, it would only lead to more pain. I made myself push her away roughly.

"Kesar no! I can't do that to you!" I cried and stood up again. "You are not my slave. I won't break you more than I already have. You need to go now. I don't want to see you anymore. Leave me!"

Kesar came to hug my leg and lifted her tear-streaked face to me.

"Nikita, please have mercy," she said using my name for the first time. "I cannot be far away and live my days without you. I might die from this terrible sadness that will tear me like hot pincers. Just let me be your shadow, and it would still please me so."

"Kesar, I can't do this to you, do you understand? You know I love Amarisa. I love her too much, I had gone mad and lustful with you, but I should not let this go on or it will destroy us both." My hands pried the sobbing maiden off me. "This will be the last time we meet, Kesar, you must leave me and forget me now and forever."

"No, my lady, no!"

"Kesar, go away!" I cried and pulled myself from her then turned my back on the poor maiden.

She cried harder, causing hot tears to spill down my own cheeks, but I did not bother to wipe them for fear that she would see.

Another moment passed in grief, Kesar gathered herself from the floor at last. A gust of gold dust exploded like fire sparks, swirling around my feet. The sounds of wing-flapping noises followed. Before I could turn to see her again, Kesar had already taken off through the open window and disappeared into the pitch blackness of the sky.

"I'm sorry, Kesar," I whispered tearfully after her left. "I'm so sorry."