Chapter 77

Sovannmacha and I said farewell in tears. When the mermaid queen dove back into the sea, I was left with a hollow feeling inside.

I returned to the ship again.

Once I was on board, the enchanted pearl began to conjure up a strong inkling in my gut. I just knew exactly where we must sail to.

"The edge of the gulf," I told my avatar friends after we all sat around the table inside the cabin. They simply nodded without any question. We hurled up the anchor and steered the course of our ship, heading north to our new destination.

The wind carried us as far as the end of the gulf. On the second day over the quiet sea, we spotted the bay of a strange island as Sovannmacha said we would.

I stared at the gray shadow that loomed over the seawater. We didn't see it at first, but it seemed to appear all at once. The thick eerie fog surrounded the gray coastline. The beach was framed with slick black rocks. There were no cries of birds nor the jumps of zealous fishes. Our ship narrowly squeezed between the jagged rocks that protruded from either side. The soldiers held their breath and watched warily around the dark water as they rowed in silence.

There was an opening of a gigantic cave with white foams and black weeds floating in and out from the inside. I got goose bumps just to imagine what lay within that haunting darkness. The mist thickened when we got closer. All around were the slippery edges of the sleek stones. Every once in a while, a vibrating roar echoed from the cave, making the men gulp.

"We are here," Tepi said sullenly. The sun seemed to hang low in the sky, and the breeze went still in the dead silence of this black sea.

"Tepi, what strategy have you schemed against the sea guardian?" Atith asked, sounding quite nervous.

"Urge the soldiers on, bidding them hold their oars well in hand," she said. "We will seek a helping strength from the war god's son."

"What did you say again?" Tusita cried from the behind the wheel in confusion.

"Issarak will be here soon," she said in a knowing tone. "We need his force to hold off this ancient monster of the sea."

"How, in the name of blessed Meru gods, could you mention that fool?" Tusita yelled.

"Shh!" Vorac hushed her.

But a moment later, we heard the sound of splashing water from another plowing ship behind us.

"O Yama, no!" Morokot came to lean over the railing. "That twerp son of Murugan has followed us!"

"They knew we could find the fish," Tepi simply told her. "I had been aware of their presence since the day we left the island."

Issarak's black oily ship crawled towards us at last. When both of the ships paralleled, Morokot yelled from the deck.

"Issarak!" she cried. "You crafty face! How dare you stand here like you have no shame?"

"You do not own the sea, Morokot!" Issarak cried back. "You used to be our ally, but look at you now, trying to please a miserable pack of weaklings!"

"We are no weaklings, Issarak!" Atith yelled. "You leeched on our effort to find the fish. You must be ashamed of yourself!"

"Silence your noises, both of you!" Vorac hushed them again. "You don't want to wake the sleeping monster over there!"

But the water already started to tremble. I could feel it through the wooden board underneath our feet. Tepi went out to the ramp.

"Makara shall rise in no time," she said. "You can't fight the monster and neither can we. I suggest we rally against it together before we get into a serious disaster."