Chapter 63

After a brief meeting with the King of Heaven, I was brought back to another crystalline chamber. I didn't know how many days I had stayed there, but during those times, I was groomed and fed with divine food and medicines. It slowly began to relax me. Soon, I had become even stronger than ever, but my mind was still floating in a good-natured haze. It was like I was living in a dream-like state that I had little control over.

Is this how it feels being in heaven? I thought.

Every day, I went out exploring the place. In the sutra that I had learned with the avatars, Amaravati was populated by three hundred and thirty million celestial beings. It was constructed by a god Viswakarma, the divine architect. The great kings and warriors would enter Indra's court after death. They would live without sadness, pain, or fear.

I was invited to attend their celebrations with the gods of all elements, celestial sages, virtuous kings, and brave warriors. They gave me their shares of wisdom and battle strategies, which they thought I could use against the demons.

I soon forgot all about it after a heavy drinking and holy feasts. We listened to the songs of the Gandharvas, who were the celestial singers. All day and all night, sweet music was played with astral melodies.

Each morning, the celestial maidens would take me to Nandana, the Immortal Garden. There, we played games. They made me chase them around the sweet-scented trees and enchanting flowers. The fragrant groves emitted perfume in the air.

In such an outlandish world, it was hard to worry about mortal things. Yet my fortunate sojourn was not always innocent. I later learned that my visit to Indra's realm was craftily planned.

~*~

On the seventh night, a Devi named Kemira came to my chamber. She dressed purely in a mantle of clouds and entered my bed without a sound. I was sleeping when she ran her soft hand over my cheek. A rush of sensation went through me. My eyes splayed open at the brilliant touch. I turned around to find a face like beautiful dawn. Her breasts were two milky pearls shining through her thin silk.

"My lady, why are you in my chamber?" I said.

She took my hand.

"I came here for my body is burning for you," she said in a voice that would drive any man mad with passion. "Will you put an end to my misery?"

I thought I was dreaming. In the dream, this was happening, and I knew what the Devi wanted. My heart raced like a sprinting horse. I pushed her hand away.

"No," I said, but my word came out weak. "I can't."

"Don't be foolish," she said. "It was I who healed you with my passion. You might have forgotten it, but I still remember it clearly like it was yesterday."

My eyes widened in shock.

"I don't understand what you're talking about!" I cried and turned away from her, covering my ears and closing my eyes. "You are my friend's older sister, and thus like a sister to me!"

I heard Kemira laugh, amused by my bewilderment.

"I won't let my amorous intent be denied by a mortal girl," she said.

"Guilt and disgrace to me if I do!" I said. "Have you no shame that you are here to plague me with your lust?"

"If you compare it to this unbearable longing you have instilled in me, O dear Nikita, my shame is terribly small!" she said and laid her stark naked body over mine. "Come to me, brave girl. I want you to satisfy me."

Kemira brushed her cheek against my own. I felt as if there was a burning fire in my body.

"Why, my lady...why do you do this? Why me?" I said. "I am nothing but a mortal being, but you're of a superior race!"

"There is no reason," Kemira said in a passionate sigh. "But I must tell you that I have been watchful of you since you first arrived. You have those big curious eyes that lit up like the rising sun. Every sight of our world delighted you and amazed you. You captured my attention. Once you tried in vain to open the false doors that were painted ones. Twice you fell into a pond, mistaken it for a transparent floor. You made me laugh. I was charmed by your laughter and displeased when I saw you playing with those flirty maidens in the Nandana Garden. You humored them with their silly games and left me longing to join. Your imperfection fascinates me, O bless you, dear girl, you make my heart pound again with just petty things!"

As she spoke, her voice sent sweet luring melodies to my ears.

It captivated my soul like music to a dancer. I slowly turned to face her. Her chest was rising and falling, evidencing her excitement as our eyes met. Her flowing hair cascaded gloriously down her lithe body and her shapely hips.

"But I have a partner already. She is a princess and the owner of my heart," I said in a whisper. "She's waiting for me to go back to earth. Please, my lady, stop tempting me."

"Remember no more of your earthly lover," Kemira said with a shake of her head. "The morals that bind mortal women do not bind me. I am free to choose the mate I want. I desire you and must lie with you. This is how I want us to be."

"No, please, this is wrong!" I cried and shook my head. "I can't betray Amarisa for you! I love her!"

Kemira frowned disapprovingly.

"Love? What is love to a goddess? It's nothing but an impure disturbance of one's mind! I will get what a goddess always gets. The last time a warrior denied one of our maidens' passions, he got turned into a eunuch for a year. And let me tell you that a goddess's curses are far more fatal!"

"Oh no, please have mercy," I pleaded. "I'm just a girl, who got washed up on the shore of your heaven. I have nothing to please you."

Kemira laughed again and brought her delicate hand to my chin, turning my face to her. Her pink plump lips parted seductively, inviting me.

"You will do as I say," she said, her eyes bore into mine.

I opened my mouth to protest, but my tongue felt like a stone in my mouth. The sight of her navel alone sent a tingling pleasure down my spine. My whole body trembled for this divine woman.

"No, no..." I tried to speak.

Kemira, the daughter of the King of Gods, then joined her hot yearning mouth with mine, urging me to taste her back with her tongue. I was determined to resist her charm, but she was stronger with her celestial enchantment. What chance did I have against this sharp seduction of a goddess? Her soft cold hands roamed my body, turning my bones to ashes and my blood to flames.

She enveloped me with her wanton needs and nakedness. The feeling was so much sweeter than the holy drink I had drunk the night before. It left ample evidence upon my body, a blissful sensation that rid my mind of any memory on earth. I had forgotten my quest, my friends, and most importantly, Amarisa, my beloved princess. She had vanished from my thought like the last drop of water slipping off the edge of a lotus leaf. Everything I had carried with me from my worlds began to dissipate.

"You have to join with me, O ill-fated one," the goddess whispered softly in my ear, "so that you could unclog the flow of your destiny and go on the heroic path you were born to take."

I paid no mind to the enigma of her riddle. I was too aroused and lost in her heavenly form to hear any words, not even my own thoughts. With waking desire of my own, I rose from the bed and took one of her rosy nipples in my warm craving mouth. She clutched me against her breasts with pure delight.

And as my clothes magically disappeared, our bodies entwined in pleasure. Our moans echoed in the chamber. That night I made love to the goddess, but at the same time, in the beginning, middle and end of our climax, my self-worth had also sunk deeper and deeper to nothingness.