Chapter 30

The light pierced through every corner of the earth. I had to shield my face with my hand as the brightness intensified. From where we stood, we heard the metal clinking and wailing of horses again. Once the golden light ceased, we saw a glittering flying chariot made of shimmering gold. It was pulled by a gigantic white horse with seven bobbing heads. Its massive body was as white as raw cotton, but its tail was black as ink.

The shining chariot cruised through the sky. Behind the seven-headed horse stood a youthful charioteer. He had flowing golden hair and flawless golden skin. His attire was made of gold and red silk. He also wore flashing armor and a tall crown. His whole being was also surrounded by brilliant rays.

Everyone knelt to the ground with their heads bowed. My eyes were still locked on the mighty chariot and the huge white stallion. The heat from those two powerful wheels left fire trails on the grass as the god of the sun rode to a halt.

Tepi had to pull me down onto my knees. The god steered his blazing vehicle towards us. The glorious golden light drenched over our heads for a moment before it dimmed down.

"Rise, children," a golden voice echoed like chiming bells. I could feel the energy surge through my veins.

We stood again. The god of the supreme light was a tall handsome man with golden eyes and strong jovial face.

I still couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that I actually got to see the sun chariot with my own eyes. Each wheel of glaring gold looked like the flat round disc of the sun as they vibrated above the ground. The chariot had the strangest sun horse. The creature's seven heads tossed about, grooming each other's hair.

"Lord Father," Atith said with a bow. "What brought you here out of the blue?"

"None other than my own curiosity, my son," the god said with a wave of his golden hand. "I have heard rumors of the Fated Child. Rumors, which spread like Agni's wildfire in heaven. Hence, I harnessed my mount and journeyed down to find the truth."

One of the horse heads bared his teeth at me. I took it as a friendly grin. Another one stretched his long white neck towards me and chewed the hem of my shirt. I snatched the fabric away from his mouth. The divine stallion gave me a horsey hiss.

"Hush, boy!" Lord Surya snapped, "Behave yourself or you won't have your share of golden hay tonight."

The horse snorted back, making the god shook his head. Then Surya turned to us and his brilliant eyes fell on me. He gave me a blinding smile.

"Is that the one Chandra has been so watchful of for all these lifetimes?" the sun god said, scrutinizing at me with his bright stare. I looked at Vorac, who shrugged back as if she had nothing to say.

"Of course, Father," Atith said and motioned towards me. "Here she is, the Destined One, prophesied by the Oracle of Pipaet. She is the one and only we have encountered so far."

"I see," Surya said and nodded thoughtfully. "If you are the one we truly seek, then I bless you as the next Conqueror of Rahu."

"The Conqueror of Rahu? What does it mean?" I asked.

"Does it mean what my Father said is true, my lord?" Vorac said. "He told me that Rahu shall return with a wish to claim the night and day. If the demon succeeds, the world shall be encased in darkness for eternity."

"Rumors like wildfire," Surya grunted dismissively. "I must speak of it no further for the words of a god might come to pass. Now tell me why you are up so early under the blessing of dawn?"

"We're preparing for the holy game, my lord," Atith said. "The first challenge requires us to use this type of mounts. Would you kindly give us some advice?"

"You are the son of a god who handles the wheel of light. Your horsemanship must benefit you profoundly. My only advice is to play fair in this holy game. That shall lead you to victory."

"Lord Surya," Tusita said. "How about you give this words of wisdom to Issarak, the hateful son of Murugan? I'm sure fairness isn't part of his plan. Now he's probably too busy hitching up mischief against us."

"Alas, daughter of the sky lord," Surya let out a musical laugh. "You have nothing to fear. The truth will shine itself like the sun outshines the stars."

Then he turned his radiant face to me and smiled. I smiled back for I didn't know what else to do when a god smiled at you.

"Embrace your courage, dear child," he said. "If the Lord has chosen you for this theme, you will have so many things to conquer. I must leave now for the duty of the dawn goddess has ended, and the sun must not rise late or else it will confuse the wise. Have my blessing, children."

With that said, he flicked his golden reins over the mighty horse. We stepped back and averted our eyes away as the sun chariot started glowing again. The solar mount raised the front hooves and tilted all his seven heads with a zealous cry. The chariot lurched forward into a burst of a swift gallop.

A moment later, we watched the sun chariot glided back into the blue sky.

~*~

We began our lesson from there and started mounting the Ashvas. Atith helped me adjust my feet behind my horse's wings.

I stroked Pisey's strong neck, and she shook her glossy mane. Her folded wings twitched in excitement against my legs.

"Now, are you ready for your first flight?" Tusita asked me as she mounted her Ashva with grace. The others did the same. I gave a hesitant nod, but my mouth started to turn a little dry. I could feel the sweat dampened my palms.

"Alright now, I must go first," Tusita said and motioned to us to follow her lead.

With a tug on the reins, she went into a gallop. Everyone on their flying horses went after her through the field. I tried to follow their example, but my horse didn't move. I urged my Ashva with my heels, but she remained still.

"We must go after them!" I said to my Ashva. "Go, horse! Fly!"

I dug my heels in her sides again, but then Pisey surprised me by raising her front legs with a loud whinny and unfolded her large wings.

"Oh dear!" I gasped and clung to her neck.

Then with a squeal, the horse leaped straight into the sky. I lost my stomach somewhere on the ground. My arms wrapped around her neck tightly as we darted through the air.

"Piiiiiseeeeey!" I screamed in a high pitch voice.

My legs clasped around her massive back while she kept soaring at a neck-breaking speed.

"Nikita, tug the reins!" Tusita yelled from somewhere in the sky. I couldn't see anyone. My horse whizzed about the clouds like a crazy flying bug. I managed to pull on the reins, but I might have tugged a bit too hard because Pisey neighed aloud in anger. We came to a skidding halt in mid-air. Then both the horse and I plummeted back to earth like a lost kite. Below us was a vast water Baray.

"No damn it, Pisey! Get back up! I'm sorry!" I yelled and grabbed a fistful of her thick white mane. The horse hissed, but the horse beat her large wings again. We came back at last and gained a steady altitude this time. I was able to catch my breath again.

"You're alright, Nikita?" Atith's voice asked with an amused tone as his winged horse circled around me. "You looked as white as your horse!"

The others also swarmed in from all corners of the sky.

"I forgot to tell you," Tusita said. "The Ashvas take commands through a psychic bond. To ride better, you both have to understand each other well. "

"If it is so, I must first try not to lose my mind," I said, still gasping from the panicky ride. They burst out laughing.

"Pisey, darling," I whispered in my Ashva's twitching ear. "Let's go for a gentle flight this time. I'm sure you don't want me to wet my pants on you."

The horse whined and snorted, yet we bounced through the air in a slower speed.