Prologue

Prologue

            “Everything is ready.”

            Sadie turned around after placing the last candle on one of the dusty shelves that looked as though it was about to collapse. The bare room was filled with the flickering lights of what must have been somewhere around a hundred candles.

            Standing in the middle of the circle the candles created was Bonnie Bennet. Her brown hair fell around her shoulders and her eyes were completely focused on the piece of paper she held in her hand. It was yellow from age and completely covered in the same scrawling black writing.

            Just off to the side was Stefan Salvatore, he was standing as close as he could without breaking the circle. There were shadows under his eyes and every muscle in his body was tensed. His green eyes were flickering around the basement of the house that had once been the sight of the massacre of hundreds of witches. Being a vampire the imprint left by all those witches chilled him to the bone and if he hadn’t been so intent on seeing the spell he would have left in a flash.

            His brother Damon Salvatore was probably standing exactly where they had left him, in the basement of the Salvatore Boarding House staring through the small barred window in the door of the cellar at Elena. He had refused to come, which was understandable, he was so close to quite possibly having the love of his life torn out of existence.

            And of course Elena Gilbert had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Ever since the day of her father's funeral where she turned her humanity off and killed her Aunt Jenna she had been locked in the cellar. As a new vampire all her emotions had been heightened and when she lost her father something inside her broke. However another one of the perks of being the vampire was the switch that controlled your humanity. With it off she didn't feel any pain, no sadness, loss or guilt.

            It was because of her that everyone had agreed to this spell. Without her humanity there was no telling what she would do and once she finally did start feeling again she would never be the same.

            Sadie had found a spell in one of her grandmothers old grimoires. It was one of the most complex spells she had ever seen and was made to reverse time. All the power that was needed to make it work would make the spell unpredictable and almost impossible to control. Although they were the ones casting it they had no idea how far back they would go or if it would even work.

            “Then we better get started,” Bonnie replied finally looking up from the spell. Her eyes blazed with a combination of the determination that filled them and the flames they reflected. Even though she was new to her powers she was already so strong.

            While Bonnie placed the paper at her feet Sadie closed the distance between them. Both girls took and deep breath before grabbing each other’s hands.

            They drew from the flames, the spirits of the dead witches and each other as they began to recite the spell. The words though unfamiliar rolled off their lips as easily as their own names and their voices became distant even to themselves.

            At first it felt like just a regular spell but as time wore on it gradually changed. It became harder and harder to keep chanting and both girls were gripping each other’s hands as though they were life preservers.

            Their hair was being whipped around their faces by a wind that only existed within their circle yet they weren’t cold. Instead it was like the heat emitting from the candles had been magnified and the heat along with the strain of the spell made sweat break out on both their foreheads.

            Stefan watched as the girls kept chanting. Their eyes were closed and every word that left their lips was spoken in perfect synchronization. He barely blinked when it looked like they had been submerged in a miniature tornado, this wasn’t the first time he had seen a powerful spell performed. However his eyes widened and he sucked in a breathe when what looked like a cocoon of light surrounded them.

            It was like they were in their own little bubble. The sides were translucent and even though he could easily see them their figures were blurred. The light although soft seemed to burn his eyes.

            Then just for a moment everything disappeared. The cocoon of light, the wind that only blew within the circle. Everything. Even the candles had flickered out.

            All that was left were Sadie and Bonnie still standing in the centre of the room holding onto each other for dear life and Stefan standing just to the side.  It was complete darkness and utterly silent.

            Stefan hadn’t even opened his mouth to ask what had gone wrong when everything disappeared into blackness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah the prologue is really short which is why I will also upload the first chapter before I go to work.