Chapter Three

Chapter Three

            Usually the blood always drew him in even if it was just a little bit no matter where he was or what he was doing. This time however there had been no allure. There had been no part of him that want to swoop over to the girl and finish her off.

            The minute he saw Jeremy carrying her out of the woods with Elena in front he had gotten suspicious. His suspicions had been confirmed when he heard Elena say something about a bite.

            He remembered Zach confronting him earlier about that couple who had been killed. The official story was that it had been an animal attack, it was the story that everyone, even Stefan had believed. The only one who had remained skeptical was Zach, he had grown up knowing about vampires and knew what it looked like when someone was attacked by one. He had been right about a vampire killing those people, he had just been wrong about the vampire who did it.

            It couldn’t be, surely he wouldn’t come back. Not now, not when he himself had just decided to return. The coincidence was too great. However there didn’t seem to be any other alternative. Mystic Falls was a small town, no vampire without history here would actually stay for this long. It wasn’t like that had ever gone too long without crossing paths before, but this would be the first time in decades they had met in their old home.

            He couldn’t stay at this party any longer. Elena and Jeremy finding that girl had proven he had been here. There wasn’t a doubt in his mind that he had also seen him with Elena. And who knew how long he had been here before that? There was no telling what he had seen and how he would use them as weapons to help him do whatever it was he came here to do.

            Stefan wasn’t aware of backing away from where Jeremy had gently laid the girl down but before he knew it he was running back home. Even with his eyes trained on the girl he didn’t take in any details of her appearance besides her wild brown hair and skin tone that made her look like a corpse. He didn’t really drive and instead chose to just run wherever he went. It was just as fast for someone like him anyways.

            The front door slammed behind him as he stormed into the house that his family had owned since it was built. Zach was sitting at his desk and Stefan neither knew or cared what he was still doing up this late.

            “What’s going on?” Zach asked. Even though before Stefan had arrived Zach had lived cut off from almost everyone, he was very perceptive although it wasn’t all that hard to tell that Stefan was upset about something.

            “Someone else was attacked tonight, Zach, and it wasn’t me.” Stefan said as he ran up the stairs. There was nothing else he could say right now because however sure he was whatever he thought he knew was still just nothing but speculation.

            Once Stefan got up to his room he just stood there. The doors to the small balcony were flung wide open even though he vividly remembered closing them before he had left for the night.

            There was a loud squawk and his room was suddenly filled with the sound of flapping wings as a huge black crown soared in. His eyes followed it until it perched on the top of one of the several book shelves.

            When he turned back the balcony was no longer empty. Standing where there had once just been empty air was a man wearing black jeans a black leather jacket. His hair was just as black as the crows feathers, his skin was a pale white and his eyes were a piercing pale blue. He was someone Stefan recognized instantly, he was his brother.

            “Damon,” he said.

            “Hello, brother,” Damon replied with a smirk.