Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

It was almost impossible to be mad that she didn’t do as he asked when she was looking at him with those wide brown eyes. The first time he had seen her she had thought she was gorgeous, she was after all the doppelganger of Katherine Pierce but now he saw her beauty in a completely different way. It came from the inside, and something about it struck a chord inside him.

“I was worried,” she replied softly a hint of a smile on her lips.

A perfectly normal answer, he had after all just told her that her best friend had escaped and could be a danger to both herself and anyone she could get her hands on. He wasn’t entirely surprised that Elena hadn’t stayed home now that he thought about it. There was no way she would just sit idly by if she thought there was a way that she could help. Despite all that however this didn’t seem quite right to him.

Before he could think about this further or even voice his concerns Elena took a small step towards him effectively closing the distance between them. She wrapped her arms around his neck and was moving in for the kiss, after that he acted on complete instinct.

His hand went into her hair and he used all his strength to pull her head back away from his. He heard a very inhuman hiss escape his lips making him sound like one of the big wild cats, the whites of his eyes had changed to the color of fresh blood in about a second. That, the black veins spreading from his now demon-like eyes and his fangs that had extended, made him look positively menacing. Like a monster that sometimes stalked through peoples nightmares.

She stumbled back a little bit, caught off guard but quickly regained her balance. When she looked up she didn’t look shocked or hurt, instead she was smiling. However it was a smile that didn’t belong to Elena, this one had a cruel edge that she could never have managed.

“Katherine,” Damon said with a snarl.

She bit her lip and replied, “I must say I’m impressed Damon. I didn’t think you would be able to spot the difference, I was under the impression that I had gotten quite good at impersonating your little girlfriend.”

“I thought you were locked in the tomb,” Damon replied ignoring her words completely.

Katherine laughed. It was the same laugh he remembered from 1864, it was so like Elena’s but this one was much sharper. There was an edge in it that he had never noticed before. Her brown eyes were now sparkling as she told him, “I never had any intention of burning in the church or being trapped in the tomb for over a century. Though I have to admit it hurt a little to hear you had given up on your quest to rescue me for someone else.”

She was gazing up at him through her lashes and was creeping ever closer. Her lips were big and red and despite himself he found his eyes being drawn to them. This was obviously noticed by her as the corners of her mouth turned up into a smile.

She reached out and trailed a finger over his chest as she whispered, “now come on Damon. We both know that you aren’t really over me, Elena always was and always will be a replacement for me.”

“Katherine,” Damon warned as she flattened her hand against his chest. Now her palm was resting just over the spot where his heart was and despite the layer of protection his shirt provided this sent chills running up his spine. It had been over a century since Katherine had been able to touch him like this and no matter what he did his body would always react to hers.

She gazed at him steadily until she was close enough for him to count every single one of her elongated eyelashes. When she spoke her warm breath pooled against his face.

“Come on Damon, you’ve waited to get me back for over a hundred years, and now, here I am.” Katherine whispered again. Her lips were parted with anticipation and Damon only just managed to move his head on time.