Chapter Twenty Seven

The first thing she was really aware of was the pain. It was the first thing she felt and it didn’t fade at all. Her entire body ached and it was only when her groan was stifled that she noticed there was something in her mouth.

It took a minute or two for her to become completely aware and as her awareness grew so did her panic. When she opened her eyes she found herself in complete darkness with a few feeble rays of light streaming in under what must be the door to wherever she was. The weak light was enough for her to get a pretty good look at where she was. The walls were the same rough rock as the floor and separating her from the door were bars like she was in a prison.

When she tried to get up to get a better look around she found herself being pulled down by chains, one fastened around each of her wrists, ankles and around her neck. Just like her groan she never heard her gasp of pain thanks to the cloth that had been tied around her face and put in her mouth. She tried to spit it out or even wiggle free of it but she knew it was pointless, it was basically impossible to get out of a gag by yourself.

The more she thought about the cloth in her mouth the more aware of it she became. After a little bit it would become all she could think about. As she felt her body getting g ready to gag her eyes scanned wildly around her, desperate for something that might distract her. The only thing worse than being gagged was throwing up while gagged.

Caroline felt a tear fall down her face and suddenly it was like a dam broke loose. She had to gasp for breath around the cloth and it was long before her face was completely soaked. Her cries were basically silent aside from her sniffling.

She was sure that if she wasn’t a vampire she would be freezing right now. As it was she was aware that it was cool enough to be considered cold she just didn’t feel it like she would if she were still human. She was still wearing the same outfit that she had been wearing in the clearing, when she talked to everyone at the boarding house and when she had gotten home.

It was only then that her mind really caught up with what was happening and the realization of how much trouble she was in sank in. After a couple of tugs on the chains she had to conclude that they were stronger than her, supernatural strength or not, and besides aching from head to toe she felt weak. She had no idea why she was here, or even where here was. The only thing she really did know for sure was who put her here.

At first she didn’t remember anything but it wasn’t long before it came back to her. She closed her eyes and saw her mom jabbing the needle into her neck, the last image she saw before everything had gone black. The needle must have been filled with vervain, that would explain why she passed out and why she felt so weak and hurt now. But how had her mom even known about vervain, if she knew vervain would work on her then she had to know about vampires? Even now that she was chained up because of her Caroline couldn’t quite picture the supernatural world and her mom being connected. Her mom just seemed too normal for that.

Caroline was snapped out of her thoughts by a soft creaking sound. The weak light became just a tiny bit brighter as the door opened. Instinctively she closed her eyes when the light increased suddenly to the point where everything else was whited out.

When she opened her eyes again it was like a little orb of light was floating near the doorway. She had to squint around it to see the dark shape behind it and even though it looked shapeless she knew it was a person, she could hear their heart beating.

They’re here to help me, Caroline thought wildly for a moment. It didn’t take her long to realize how far off she was. Her first clue was whoever this person was they were just standing there. If they were someone who was here to rescue her they would already be doing it. Then of course there was the problem that there wasn’t anyone in her life that would even want to rescue her at the moment. Elena and Bonnie were both pissed at her, and although she hated it and thought it was unfair, she didn’t blame them at all. However it was hard to realize someone was missing if you didn’t want to talk to them. Her mom was the one who put her in here so there was no chance of that and she would have the rest of the town convinced of some lie that would explain her absence.