Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            He felt full of energy and power as he poured some of the amber liquid from the bottle into his glass. The energy and power wasn’t all that surprising seeing as he had just returned from draining a young couple who had been camping in the woods.

            As he had sucked the last drops of their blood he had reveled in it because he knew that if he wanted to stay in Mystic Falls he would have to at least try and be discreet, the people would only believe so many stories before they started doubted it was an animal attacking all these people.

            At the moment the only person in the house besides him was Zach, but it was easy to ignore him. Stefan was at school playing pretend with Elena.

            He was surprised about how much this bothered him. He just told himself that it was because she made Stefan happy which was something he had been trying to stop for a long time. But something about them together still bothered him, even that though he was able to shrug off. It had to be because she looked like her, like Katherine.

            Even thinking about her brought a surge of unwelcome memories. He remembered when he had first laid eyes on her, she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. In the letters his brother had written to him while he was away Stefan had mentioned her but it was nothing compared to seeing her in person. As the time during his leave went by he found himself not only falling for her looks but everything about her.

            He was sure that he was already in love with her by the time she told him her secret. He barely blinked when he discovered she was a vampire, he always knew there was something different about her, something that set her apart from everything else.

            However her secret didn’t stay a secret for long. The night where the townspeople hauled all of the vampires including Katherine into the church before setting fire to it, used to haunt him every time he closed his eyes.

            That was also the night he and Stefan had been shot. Once they had discovered Katherine had been taken they tried to rescue her but ended up dead in the middle of the road instead. The next night he woke up in a beaten up old shack by the lake where Emily Bennet explained that Katherine’s blood that was in his system had brought him back to life and would soon do the same for Stefan.

            He had woken up in time to see the church go up in flames, just not in time to do anything to save Katherine. When he returned to the lake he just sat on the bank trying to ignore the overwhelming grief that filled him every time he remembered that she was now gone forever.

            After awhile Stefan awoke as well, when he joined Damon by the bank Damon told him about Katherine. It was there that the two brothers agreed not to complete the transition, the whole point of becoming a vampire was to be with Katherine. What was the point of eternity when you didn’t have anyone to share it with.

            Once the sun went down and darkness was beginning to settle Damon felt himself growing weaker. Stefan had left, he said there was something that he had to do. However when he returned he wasn’t alone.

            A young girl wearing a pale pink dress followed close behind him. Something was off about Stefan, he didn’t seem even a little bit weaker than he had been earlier, instead it was like he had grown stronger.

            After only a minute it was obvious Stefan had completed the transition, he had fed on human blood. The girl was with him so that he could convince his brother to do the same. At the urging of his younger brother and with promises of power he couldn’t even imagine Damon gave in and drank the blood. The promise of power had not been a lie and when the blood filled him it was followed closely by pure ecstasy.