Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

It wasn’t true.

The blood bag slipped from her hands and fell to the ground.

It wasn’t true.

She turned her back on Caroline and ran back into the hall somehow managing to fumble the lock closed.

It wasn’t true.

Her entire body was shaking like a single leaf caught in the wind.

It wasn’t true.

She felt Alaric’s hand on her back as he comforted her.

It wasn’t true.

Her phone started ringing in her pocket but her hands hung limply at her side, completely usless.

It wasn’t true.

Surely she would know if he had died, some part of her would know, she would have felt his disappearance.

It wasn’t true.

Alaric reached into her jacket pocket and pulled out her buzzing phone and she could only watch as he answered it.

It wasn’t true.

She watched his lips move but was completely unable to comprehend any of the words that were leaving them.

It wasn’t true.

His expression was strained, like he was struggling to holding himself together.

It wasn’t true.

Then just like that his face crumpled and her phone was flying out of his hand towards the wall.

It wasn’t true.

Caroline was still laughing.

It wasn’t true.

She felt Bonnie’s arms around her. When did Bonnie get here? Elena thought she had wanted to stay away from Caroline. Caroline was still laughing.

It wasn’t true.

Bonnie was trying to get her up the stairs, up the stairs and away from Caroline but her feet weren’t working.

It wasn’t true.

Her voice was like a dull buzz, like the noise that’s always there but you never really here it.

It wasn’t true.

The room started spinning and she had to lean on Bonnie to stop herself from falling. Her more petite friend stumbled a bit under her weight but managed to stay upright. She was still saying something that Elena couldn’t hear.

It wasn’t true.

Suddenly Alaric was by his side to. She saw tear tracks down his face, she knew he and Damon had been becoming friends.

It wasn’t true.

With his help Bonnie was finally able to begin making some progress getting her towards the stairs.

It wasn’t true.

She tried to get her legs to work, maybe that way Alaric and Bonnie wouldn’t have to help her but nothing she tried worked.

It wasn’t true.

They were almost at the stairs now.

It wasn’t true.

Caroline was still laughing.

It wasn’t true.

Elena closed her eyes feeling nauseous because of all the spinning.