Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

She was sitting at one of the back tables in the Grill waiting. Just waiting. That’s all she had been doing for the most part during the past couple days. They had told her that they would meet her here and she would keep coming back here for as long as it took for them to show up. If she had it her way she would just sit there around the clock but she knew she couldn’t do that.

They told her it was important to keep up appearances and after her long absence and now her insistence on spending every free moment here that was becoming increasingly hard to do. She had gone to school earlier that day and just told everyone she had been spending a couple days with her dad. That was the only good thing about her parents being divorced, she would always have an excuse for a sudden disappearance. After all she couldn’t exactly tell the kids at school she had been turned into a vampire, had been locked in a cellar by her ex-best friend and ex-boyfriend who were now dating only to finally be released by said ex-boyfriends brother and ex-best friends ex-boyfriend. Even if they could follow that train of thought no one would believe her and her mother would end up having her shipped off to go live in an asylum or something.

So school had been relatively normal, expect that neither Elena nor Bonnie had been there. She had looked for them before classes, at lunch and even after school but they were nowhere to be found. Their desks in history had been vacant and the new teacher hadn’t seemed bother by that at all, though he had given her a weird look. It was pointless, why should she, the one who had actually shown up to class despite everything that was going on, be getting the weird look. Granted he didn’t know about everything that was going on but still.

Once she had finally given up on trying to find Bonnie and Elena at school, which was only after another hour of searching, she had come back here. She went immediately to the empty table near the back and just sat down. She had been there all day yesterday waiting and was planning to either stay there now until close or until they finally came.

After about ten minutes of sitting there Vicki, who was wearing a dark blue t-shirt, jeans and a black apron over her hips had walked sullenly over to her table. She wrote down Caroline’s order, a mug of coffee, with a scowl before sulking away. Part of Caroline’s mind was going over what terrible service that was, it had taken her ages to come take her order and hadn’t even bothered to try and hide her obvious loathing. Ever since Elena broke up with Matt, Vicki’s little brother, the older girl had made it pretty obvious that she not only hated Elena but also Elena’s friends which at the time had included Caroline. She wished she could somehow let Vicki know that she hated Elena now too, maybe that way she would actually get some decent service in the hours she would be undoubtedly spending here.

She was just thinking how exactly that conversation would go when her inner musings were interrupted by a vaguely familiar voice, “an exquisite lady such as yourself shouldn’t be sitting alone.”

Caroline looked up and saw a man with delicate features, slightly curled light brown hair and a thin muscular build standing right by her table. It was strange that he had managed to get there without her noticing. With all her new senses it was almost impossible for anyone to sneak up on her or catch her by surprise anymore.

“Klaus?” She asked recognizing him from before. She had been hanging out in the Grill with Bonnie when she first met him. She had still been human then and he was all she had been able to think about after that meeting. Though once she turned the thought of him hadn’t even popped up in her mind, and considering the circumstances that wasn’t all too surprising.

Klaus smiled widely revealing two rows of perfectly straight and gleaming white teeth and said, “you remember me, fantastic.”

Caroline flipped some of her blonde curls over her shoulder and told him with a flirty smile, “a face like yours is hard to forget.”