Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

            “But what about Caroline?” Elena asked glancing down at the hardwood floor nervously as if the blonde would suddenly break through the floor from the cellar.

           The flicker of her eyes did not go unnoticed by Damon who said, “first of all we are not even standing over her. She is right below the kitchen. Second, it’s only an hour drive and she’s full of vervain so she’s way too weak to even think about escaping.”

            Elena was still uneasy but it was impossible to put exactly why she felt so bad about leaving Caroline alone into words. All she knew was that she felt like something was going to happen, and no matter how hard she tried, it was a feeling she couldn’t seem to shake.

            “Listen,” Damon told her. Of course he knew how she was feeling about this, he always seemed to know. His hand cradled the side of her face and she leaned into his touch slightly without even thinking about it as he continued, “it won’t take us long to see what she knows...if she even knows anything. But if you are still worried you can stay here with Caroline and I’ll go by myself.”

            Her entire body stiffened at his suggestion and her eyes flickered up to his. She didn’t even have to say anything for him to know that there was no way he was going by himself. After they found out about this possible lead she had made it very clear that they were in this together and under no circumstances was she being left behind.

            “Well I guess it’s now or never,” Elena said with a sigh, “let’s just try and be quick.”

            Damon nodded and in a blink of an eye he was gone. Despite her worry and slight annoyance Elena found herself laughing as she ran towards the door. In the distance she heard an engine start and she yelled, “that’s too quick.” She knew that even from this distance Damon would hear her and sure enough when she hopped into the passenger seat beside him he was still chuckling.

            Before she knew it they were flying down the road. It had been torture getting through those last two days in the school week but Damon insisted she go. This still didn’t really make sense to her as he wanted answers as much as she did and he never put much stock in her education. So why would he delay possibly finding out why they were seeing visions of the lives of other versions of themselves for something he didn’t even think was important. However she never argued because staying in Mystic Falls meant staying close to Caroline.

            After leaving Alaric’s classroom with her Damon had taken her directly into the cellar she was now currently locked in. Since she had been waking up he injected her with more vervain, and just as a precaution continued to do that daily. He tried to question her about who turned her but she was keeping her silence and her imprisonment only made her angrier at both Damon and Elena.

            As they got farther and farther away from the Boarding House she was found it increasingly difficult to hold on to the worry. It was like she was leaving her problems behind just for today and could pursue answers without anything else getting in the way. Soon she found it impossible to even remember why she had been so nervous about leaving Caroline alone. Besides the fact that she was locked up and full of vervain she also hadn’t fed in a couple days. Damon was right...as usual, there was simply no reason to get so worked up.

            Unlike on their trip to Georgia she and Damon didn’t talk about random little things. Because as much as this was a temporary escape for her she was full with so much anticipation that it was impossible to focus on anything but what lay before they. Without him having to explain it to her she knew Damon felt the exact same way and the closer they got to their destination the more the anticipation grew.