Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

A week had passed since Elena had gone to the Salvatore Boarding House desperate for answers. She still felt terrible about what Stefan had caught her doing with Damon and she didn’t have to talk to him to know that they were over. However this didn’t bother her as much as she thought it would, and the reason could be summed up all into one word...Damon.

That was one of the only good things that had changed after that day. Damon had changed, he was no longer this mystery guy who put a double meaning behind all of his words. He was becoming more and more like the guy she kept seeing in these visions that filled her sleep almost every night now. Mostly it was just dreaming about little conversations but she was still eager to discover the meanings behind them.

However while Damon was one of the good things that resulted from that day there were far more bad things. One of the ones that bothered her most was Caroline. Monday morning before school started the blonde had eagerly told her all about this guy she had met in the grill. Despite them only have a conversation that lasted a minute she managed to go on and on about this guy. Elena wasn’t surprised as Damon already told her they had mutually called things off that Caroline was already moving on. Though she did think that Caroline’s new guy would make it easier to tell the blonde about her and Damon, she couldn’t have been more wrong.

Once Caroline finally seemed to finish talking about the ‘hottie with the accent’, Elena decided that she better brave the subject. The second she even mentioned Damon, the blonde launched another long rant about exactly what had happened with Damon and Elena couldn’t help but notice that some of the details she was disclosing differed greatly from what Damon had told her on Saturday. Finally when Elena had enough and now when she looked back on it she was able to admit that she definitely could’ve handled it better.

Without warning Elena had interrupted her by saying that Damon kissed her. Caroline looked thunderstruck and when she stammered something about Stefan Elena explained that her and Stefan had ended things. She wasn’t too surprised that now that she was technically with Damon, that Caroline was mad, but she still wished she could somehow make it better.

Throughout the week she tried to make amends with Caroline or even talk to her but every time she tried the blonde would just glare at her, her blue eyes icy. And whenever she tried to talk to Bonnie about it she would just shrug and tell Elena to give her some time.

Bonnie was another thing, while unlike Caroline she wasn’t outright angry, but she wasn’t all that happy either. When she listened to Elena recount the events from Saturday her lips became more and more pursed and by the end she looked like she had eaten a lemon. When they weren’t talking about Damon, Stefan or Caroline everything was normal but whenever anything even vaguely related to that Bonnie’s dark eyes would flash and she would either try to change the subject or become oddly quiet.

Stefan stopped going to school completely, when she asked Damon he told her he was rarely around the house anymore either. Elena knew without a doubt that his sudden disappearance was completely her fault but she knew that one way or another something like this would happen. Now that she was with Damon it was impossible to manage life without him even though it had only been a week. While she would have preferred to tell Stefan in a better way, she was sure that either way would hurt him. How would it be possible to tell someone you can’t be with them because you have feelings for their brother without hurting them?

The only relief from the guilt was when she was actually with Damon, just being with him made all the bad disappear from her life for a short while. True she hadn’t been able to spend that much time with him what with school and everything but what little time she had was enough to turn her forced smile into an easy and real one.