Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

As Damon closed the door on the now empty step Elena didn’t move from her spot on the ground where she was massaging her neck. It was already sore and the pain made her wince slightly.

“Are you okay Elena?” Damon asked. He just stood there looking down at her with his eyebrows slightly raised. Suddenly without really knowing why Elena felt anger flare up inside of her. How dare he ask if she was okay when he was the one that had done this?

“What was that?” Elena demanded her arms dropping from her neck where she then folded them tightly across her chest.

Damon narrowed his eyes, “that was me saving the life of your best friend. That was me buying us some more time to execute your idiotic plan before Klaus shows up and burns this place to the ground trying to get to you.”

He snapped his words which only added to Elena’s anger. He had absolutely no right to talk to her like that. He should be apologizing for threatening to kill her not snapping at her like she was a little girl who was throwing a tantrum.

“And you figured the best way to do that was to threaten my life?” She asked in the snarkiest tone she could manage, “what if Klaus hadn’t caved? He would have known right away that you weren’t bluffing when you didn’t snap my neck.”

Damon didn’t say anything, he didn’t have to. Even with his skill at keeping his face blank she could usually figure out at least a little bit about what he was thinking. And right now he was like an open book.

“But you weren’t bluffing,” Elena accused tonelessly, “you would have actually done it. You would have killed me.”

“Yeah,” Damon told her his voice rising slightly as he spoke, “yeah I would have snapped your neck. Elena I fed you my blood. My blood was in your system. You would have come back.”

“I would have come back as a vampire Damon,” Elena snapped, “I need to be a human for the ritual. Klaus needs to drain my blood to break the curse and that’s the only way we could be able to get back to the original timeline. If you had turned me into a vampire there would be no hope in hell of ever getting that life back.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Damon asked, “what is the difference between being a vampire here and being a vampire there? Either way we are together. That was good enough for me, how come it’s not good enough for you? Besides the timeline was reversed for a reason do you really want to find out what that reason was, wouldn’t it be better to just stay in this timeline? Why go back to an old life when we can make a new one?”

Even though he was trying to convince her he wasn’t pleading with her. If he had she probably would have died of shock, Damon Salvatore did not plead, he just didn’t. That wasn’t how he worked, he was just saying what he thought hoping that she would agree.

“This isn’t right Damon,” Elena said her voice now gentle. Just because he chose to just state his opinion like it was fact didn’t mean she had to do the same thing. She wasn’t above pleading and if that was what it took to get him on her side she would do it without blinking, “this isn’t the life we are supposed to be living.”

It was like her words flipped a switch inside him. Suddenly it was like he was completely empty, like all the lights had gone off in him. When he spoke he sounded cold ad harsh, “why is this so important to you? What is the difference between that timeline and this one?”

Elena opened her mouth to answer but closed it without saying a word. She had never really thought about why she was so desperate to go back to the original time line. After all wasn’t Damon right? Either way they were together and despite what she saw in her visions there was still the fact that she didn’t know the reason for the time line being reversed.