Chapter Eighteen

When you were transported back to the cabin with Cas, Dean was sitting on the couch, watching the fire, while Sam sat at the table.

"Back so soon?" Dean asked, not lifting his gaze from the fire. You shrugged and plopped into the couch next to him, playing with the hem of your shirt. An idea suddenly popped into your brain.

"Hey... Do you have any books to read here?" You asked, looking curiously at Dean.

He shrugged. "Yeah. The basement's stuffed full of old books. Go right ahead," He said. Basement. You don't remember there being a basement. But you stood up anyways, looking around the cabin. Sure enough, there was a door that you had no idea existed, tucked away in a corner. You opened the door and descended down the flight of stairs presented to you.

The basement was old and musty, bookshelves full of old books lined the walls. There was a table and two chairs in the middle of the room, and a single lightbulb illuminated the room. You sauntered over to the shelves, looking over the spines and titles of the books. You ran your fingertips over the spines as you read the titles, enjoying the feel of the books. Most of the books were on random topics like how to garden or the history of England. You frowned and kept looking.

Finally, you found one. Tucked away in the midst of books on the workings of boats, was book on demons. You probably couldn't count on it being too accurate, but it was there. You slowly slid the book out of its little cove, blowing the dust off of it. You sat down at the table with the book, carefully opening it up.

You could have sworn you felt a pulse of energy come from the book when you opened it. You frowned, wondering what that could possibly have been. You shrugged and opened to the first page.

It seemed like a very old book, the pages yellowed. But the information was amazing. Information on all types of demons, how to trap them, what hurts them, what to look out for, and the like. You couldn't help the wide grin that broke across your face. You flipped through the pages until you found what you were looking for. If it was possible, your grin grew even wider.

***

"I'm going to go out for a while, you know, explore the woods, that sort of thing," You said, stepping out the door. Cas started after you.

"I'll come with-" He began.

"No! I mean... No, I kind of just want to be alone... Okay?" You said, silently looking for approval in Cas' eyes. He sighed, nodding. You smiled and closed the door behind you, letting out a breath you didn't know you were holding. You adjusted the bag on your shoulder, looking back once more to see if you were being followed. Satisfied that no one was following you, you began on your trek through the woods. If you remembered the path to the Walmart correctly, you should be there in half the time it would take by car.

The familiar blue walls soon appeared, making you grin. You sped up your pace, almost running to the store.

You bought everything that you needed, silently thankful that everything you needed was pretty common. You smiled at the cashier and made your way to the back of the store, slipping into a storage room, hopefully not being watched.

You quickly got to work, setting up a table and drawing a Devil's trap on the floor where he was supposed to appear. You grinned to yourself and started concocting the mixture you needed, occasionally looking at the book to see if you were getting it right. When you were happy with the colour of the mixture, you grabbed your knife and cut your palm, letting the blood drip into the bowl. It was the knife with the weird blade that killed demons, so it hurt more than normal, but you sucked it up.

You chanted the incantation, watching as the bowl let out a pop, and stepped back. A few moments passed when you saw him. Crowley. He had landed perfectly. Crowley smiled at you, not noticing the trap.

"Have you got a death wish or something?" He asked.