Chapter Eight

Edited ✔️✔️

PLEASE VOTE!!!

Chapter 8

Even though Mia never knew Tiger Lilly, she felt extreme melancholy when she heard the unfortunate news of the Red Skin Princess's death. When the Lost Boys heard the news, though, they seemed more shocked than sad; most had blank expressions, except for Thomas who seemed genuinely burdened by the news of her murder.

"Isn't it sick how the other boys are so used to death that it just doesn't bother them anymore?" Thomas explained and shook his head to himself. "I didn't know her well," Thomas later told Mia as they were getting ready for sleep and then paused, as if wondering if he should say his next words or not. "But that doesn't mean she deserved to be killed."

When the sun rose over the tallest mountain, Pan seemed more solemn than usual as he exited his tent in his usual green attire, except they appeared more pristine like he'd spent all night scrubbing off the stains. Mia knew he wouldn't ever admit it out loud, but she could tell by the haunted look in his eyes that he too was slightly taken aback by the princess's sudden death.

Everyone stood up at the sight of Pan and he quietly led them westward through the jungle to the Indian territory. The Chief of the Red Tribe had sent a messenger the day after they heard the sad news, the burly man armed with weapons when he invited them to attend Tiger Lily's funeral. Pan was hesitant but eventually accepted the invitation. The Red Skins weren't known for being friendly and Pan instructed them all to bring daggers hidden in their boots or under their belts. Mia always did that anyway, but she didn't tell him that.

She made sure the knife in her belt was secure with the one in her boot rubbing against her ankle bone uncomfortably, and she pulled her hood up to hide her face once they entered Red Skin territory.

Thick, green vines were woven through long pieces of bamboo which had been carved at the top into points, creating a sort of wall that surrounded the tribe. As they neared, Mia saw that there were two muscular sentries at the entrance with wooden spears and jewelry made out of bones hanging from their necks.

"The Red Skins like to wear the bones of their victims," Pan's voice repeated in her head.

Mia shuddered at the thought and crossed her arms over her chest, hoping to hide the swell of her breasts the best she could. The last thing she wanted was to stick out as a young girl when surrounded by a bunch of male savages.

One of the men stepped up and made a few movements with his hand. Pan walked forward as well and did the same thing.

Thomas leaned over from behind her and whispered, "The Red Skins use sign language as their way of communication and only speak English if necessary."

Mia felt the hair on her neck stand up. "Why sign language though?"

"Tradition." Thomas paused and Mia thought he was finished speaking until his voice rang out quietly again. "There's a legend that their first Chief was mute, which made him a better and stronger hunter since he focused more on his body and actions were rather than what he said. They worship him like a god and speak in his language to honor him."

The two men moved aside and motioned for them to come in.

Mia shuffled by and lowered her head more when one of the guards looked at her. Their gazes were like daggers that went right through her soul.