Chapter Fourteen

Edited ✔️✔️

~As always, feel free to tell me if there are any errors~

Chapter 14

Thomas marched into camp, his footsteps like thunder against the earth, with maps and scrolls secured tightly under his arms.

As Pan's newly second in command he had a lot more weight on his shoulders. As second in command, he got the opportunities to go with Pan on some of his business trips outside of the island, recruit new lost boys, be the head trainer, and basically make sure no boys died while Pan wasn't around. But the biggest benefactor was that it also gave him a better access and resources to help find Mia.

He gained access to private maps Pan usually kept hidden in his secret tent located outside of camp and got to find out about new places he never even heard about before even with all his years on the island. All night every night he stayed up, studying old battle techniques and marking any possible places of Mia's whereabouts. After long nights of studying maps and reading ancient scrolls, Thomas felt like he'd found something.

Hopefully Pan would agree or else his hard work would be for nothing and—

Thomas skidded to a stop and his mouth opened when he saw camp.

"P-Pan?" he stuttered out, both terrified and shocked at the sight that stood before him.

Peter Pan, in all his mighty glory stood smugly in the front of a large, crescent shaped crowd of Red Skinned Indians and Lost Boys who stood at the front and looked just as uncomfortable and confused as he was. Some had their hands ready at their weapons, and other seemed too terrified by the massive men behind them to move at a all.

Pan stopped speaking in the middle of his sentence and turned to give Thomas one of his signature lopsided smiles that showed just how cocky he truly was.

"Big Chief, this is my new second in command that I told you about. Thomas, come. We were just starting," Pan said while smiling with his nose in the air, confidence sleeping through every one of his pores. But there was hidden authority—a warning—in his voice so that only people who knew him well would be able to hear it. A sign to tell the boys that he was just as on guard as they were and ready to attack if anyone went against him.

Thomas listened to Pan's continued speech, still with papers under his arms, and joined the rest of the boys at the front, taking note of Pan's weird behavior.

He seemed giddy. Girlishly giddy, but in a cocky and arrogant way that wasn't funny or cute at all. In fact, it was disturbing and Thomas held back a cringe.

Getting the mighty Red Skins on their side was feeding Pan's head to a point where Thomas knew he'd have a hard time getting through doorways soon. Something in his stomach told him that Pan's good mood act was going to come crashing to an end at any moment now.

"As we all know, there is a threat here on the island–"

Maybe if he hadn't have heard this a thousand times Thomas would've been paying attention. But in all honestly all he wanted to do was throw the papers in Pan's face and yell at him what he had found. Mia could've been hurt and Thomas knew that at any moment, if they weren't fast enough, she could be dead. He held back a scream.

"–The Red Skins will–"

Thomas had already heard it all. Him and Pan talked it over the evening before (minus the part about the Red Skins being present) and all of this was old to him. He wondered if that was how James felt: bored and uncaring. Maybe that's why he was the way he was? Thomas thought. But then he shook his head and laughed at himself internally. James was heartless. Being second in command had nothing to do with that.