Chapter Twenty-Two

Edited✔️✔️

Chapter 22

Thirty-two dirt mounds were scattered across the field's of Neverland, half in the Red Skin's territory and the other in Pan's.

Pixies and Fairies alike had come to say their respects and give gifts to Pan as a way to apologize for not helping and try to make him less angry. A peace offering.

It didn't work.

Pan's jaw was clenched the entire time the fairy queen brought him her people's gifts that varied from jewelry (mostly rings), beads, and rocks and even a few small weapons such as one slingshot that the younger lost boys had found interest in.

Mia and her dad, Merlin, helped rebuild the Lost Boy Camp which was in shambles from the fight that had spread throughout the entire island when the Lost Boys and Red Skins were fighting. She didn't want to sit around and attend any funerals that day. And as his first official day of freedom, neither did Merlin. So they stayed at camp and helped as best as they could.

"When I had heard of Merlin I thought you'd have a beard and be..." Thomas, who had decided to stay back as well, trailed off, "old."

Merlin laughed. "I am old. Very old. And you young lady," he patted Mia on the shoulder, "have a very long life ahead of you as well—if you choose it."

Mia's eyes widened and then she shook her head in disbelief, suppressing a humored-filled grin. Surprisingly, the idea of an expanded lifespan didn't frighten her one bit. In fact, it excited her.

Thomas met her eyes and grinned back at her, both thinking the same thing.

⋆✶

With a somber face, Pan came back to camp and sighed when he noticed Mia using her magic, her hands glowing a bright orange, to put back together the Hangman's tree which had been cut in half somehow. She was back and well and Neverland was back to good health, the darkness long gone. With his light magic restored, Neverland would be under his full control at last. Wasn't that all he'd wanted?

He walked over to her, seeing that the tree was put back together and said, "Can I talk to you for a minute, Mia?"

She seemed surprised to see him, her eyes wide in almost a daze-like state, but nodded anyway.

Pan turned to Merlin who stood next to her and handed him the cloak Rumpelstiltskin was trapped in. "This belongs to you."

Merlin silently nodded and took the cloak, staring down at it with strong distaste. Still sadness shone through, no doubt brought on from the thought of his brother. "Thank you, Peter Pan. I know exactly where I'm going to put this. We shouldn't be hearing from my brother for a very long time."

"I'm sure we won't," Pan told him grimly, his mouth set in a firm line. "Come'n, Mia." He waved his hand, motioning for her to follow.

She did.

"I never thanked you for saving me," Mia said once they were deep into the woods where she was positive they were completely alone and no one could eavesdrop.

Pan shook his head, running a hand through his blond hair which only messed it up even more. "You saved yourself. I hardly did anything."

There was a long pause of silence as they went further into the woods and farther away from people. They walked for a couple minutes in complete silence, finding comfort in the quiet—a thing they hadn't had in quite some time.