Chapter 9

Once again, the piercing light from the glowing Steven and Max faded... But Steven and Max were gone! Instead, in their place, stood what looked like a gigantic bunny creature with four arms, a forest of curly brown hair covering its eyes, two large floppy ears, a hideously large grinning smile with razor sharp teeth, a tattered old top resembling Steven's shirt with matching tattered blue shorts, and an unforgettable pink gem sticking out of the creature's navel. When the light and the dust cleared, the creature bellowed out a horrendous roar that shook the chamber to its very core.

Peridot squeaked and hid behind Amethyst. "What is that monstrosity?! What happened to Steven?!"

"He... Fused; with MAX?!" Pearl asked... Still trying to soak in what had just happened.

Amethyst could only chuckle in amusement. "Lookin' good, Steven... Max... Stevax!"

The monstrous fusion, now known as Stevax, turned its head towards Sam and the gems and snarled slightly.

"Uh oh," Sam took note of the fusion's snarl. "Be ready, gems. Like most domestic house pets left to their own devices for several months, our amalgamated chums here may not recognize us as anything more than potential hostiles... Or dinner."

"What?! But Steven would NEVER try to harm us," Pearl argued.

"I wasn't concerned about the STEVEN half," Sam corrected.

Pearl's mouth wired shut when she remembered... Steven was fused with MAX!! She only knew Max for a few hours.... And she already knew that the bunny-thing was a sociopathic killing machine... and now that killing machine was a part of her Steven!!

Stevax glared at the five of them for a while; until, finally, it lifted the hair out of its face to reveal two sets of eyes -one set more human while the other was more lagomorphic and full of unhinged rage. However, as soon as Stevax's eyes focused on its five friends, they widened and filled with familiar stars.

"SAAAAM! GEEEEMS!!"

The lumbering fusion's oversized mouth turned into an oversized grin as it wrapped its four arms around the five of them and pulled them into a back-breaking, yet tender, embrace.

"Or, the Steven-y part of him will remember how much he loves us," Garnet smiled knowingly, causing the others to relax a little.

"Or the Max part of him remembered that I'm the only one who knows how to operate the toaster oven," Sam joked. Though, secretly, he was relieved his little buddy was still in there.

Stevax's massive jaw opened again. This time, a muscular tongue popped out of its mouth; at the end of the tongue was what looked like a miniature Max head. The Max headed tongue lunged at Peridot and clamped onto her head.

"And it looks like the Max in this monstrosity remembers how much he ADORES me." Peridot groaned.

"Enough! Are you telling me that this monstrosity is some sort of hybrid of Steven and Max?!" Mack demanded to know.

"Why yes actually," Pearl answered. "It's actually quite fascinating. Non-gems cannot normally fuse with gems, but Steven is..."

"I care not for your insipid gemology!" Mack interrupted. "If it is indeed a melding of my newest pawn and one half of my most wretched enemies..." A smirk painted the devious fish's lips again. "Then it can only mean that I can now be the master of both!! Stevax! Attack the gems! Obey!"