Chapter 1

"Ooo what about him?" Hazel cooed, peering over the top of her awful thick-rimmed glasses, eyeing up a sandy haired twenty-something, who was sat nervously twitching on the edge of his bar stool, "He's kinda cute..."

I shot her a look of pity and disgust. Yeah - I guess if you squinted he could kind of get away with looking half decent, in a sort of boy-next-door kind of way and you could tell a mile off that he was the type of guy who would do anything for you; but he wasn't right for what I had in mind tonight.  

The only thing I wanted tonight was earth shattering, mind blowing, body shaking pleasure and by the look on this guys face, it was almost laughable that Hazel could contemplate him as an option. But then that was her, innocent; that was why I loved her.

I scanned around the room with my eyes dropped, in an attempt to be seductive. It was almost a routine move; shark on prey. Tonight however didn't seem to be my lucky night.

I sighed in exasperation and pouted, turning with a frown to Hazel, "Where are all the guys?"   

I suppose I was setting my aims a bit high, considering this was only the local pub on Meadow End. But surely, I thought there must be someone up for it somewhere. It wasn't like I was asking for much....

*Bzzzz*

Crap.

I looked down at my IPhone on the table, the caller I.D. incessantly flashing and buzzing away at me - the witch was calling me again. I jammed down the decline button. Twenty-three missed calls.

Crap.

It wasn't that I was purposely hiding from my mum. I didn't care if she knew I was here. I'm not breaking the law (unless you count the small fact I wasn't legally allowed the double vodka and cokes I was pouring down my throat for another month or two). I just couldn't handle another slamming match like earlier. I was just as sad as her. Didn't she understand that? 

She might have been her mum but she was my Grams too and I missed her like hell whether she'd only been dead seven days or not.

My phone started up again. This time, I hit decline followed by the off button, downed my drink and turned with false assurance to Hazel.

"You know what - what the hell. He'll do."

"Luce, are you sure....? Like we could just go back to mine and get some food and.."

"Thanks Hazel. Maybe another night but... I'll call you in the morning ok?"

"Alright." Hazel bit her lip as though she was unsure of her next move, "Just be careful Luce..."

I rolled my eyes at her and let out a giggle. Twelve years of being polar opposite best friends and she still fretted and flapped like a little mouse whenever a boy was within a hundred yards.

"Night mum!" I winked and blew her an air kiss as she put on her jacket and headed to the door. I turned, ready for my in...

I'd done this so many times now it was down to a fine art. I felt sorry for the guy sometimes. He didn't have a clue that he was just a quick fix.. but no one had complained yet; not that I was around in the morning to hear them.

Grabbing my bag I did the standard flyby past the table, grabbing his gaze and shooting him a coy smile, before tossing my hair with my hand and turning for the direction of the toilet. As I reached the door I glanced back and found his gazed was transfixed on my bum.

Men - so predictable.

Noticing I'd stopped, he looked up to meet my eyes and guiltily shot his eyes back down to the table, engrossed in his pint glass like it was the most interesting thing he had ever seen. I sighed disappointedly.