Chapter 6

Stepping outside of the church, Ben cleared his throat and looked around uncomfortably as though unsure where to start. A couple of the younger choir girls came out, smiling and fluttering their eyelashes at him, before turning around and giggling like school children.

Seriously how old are you? Twelve?

I rolled my eyes.

"Bye, bye ladies!" Ben shouted after them giving them a cheeky wink, which caused a small niggling in my stomach. They turned back around blushing, and then burst out again into a fit of giggles before turning to look at me, a sort of puzzled, judgemental scowl crossing their faces.

"Problem?" I calmly asked, shooting them a sarcastic smile, causing them to blush again before scurrying down the path.

Yeah that's right, keep walking.

I turned to Ben who was looking at me with a mixture of shock and amusement. He blew out his cheeks and breathed out with a whistle.

"Wow, remind me never to get on the wrong side of you!"

I winced, "Sorry... force of habit..."

"Don't apologise," he said, a handsome smirk crossing his face, "I think it's sexy you got jealous."

"WHAT!? I am not jealous! Pfft. I don't get jealous! Don't flatter yourself! Puh-leaseeee!"

"Alright! Alright! No need to get so defensive..." He laughed and lightly bumped me on the shoulder and I responded by giving him a dig to the ribs but couldn't help smiling too. It was amazing how comfortable I felt in his company, but he still had a lot of explaining to do...

"So, Aled Jones... The singing..?"

"Ahh... Yeah." Ben scratched the back of his neck as we began walking down the path, out onto main road, the streetlights illuminating our way. It was late and there were barely any cars on the road now. Just being here with Ben like this, walking together, shoulder to shoulder, our hands inches apart, occasionally brushing fingertips like magnets connecting, felt like the most intimate thing in the world.

"You are really good Ben! Like seriously, that voice back there was incredible! Why haven't you pursued it! You could have an amazing future with that amount of talent! Really I mean why someone hasn't already discov-"

"Luce, you're amazing do you know that?" he looked at me for a second before chastely kissing me on the cheek causing a ripple of tummy tingles down my stomach. I blushed and turned away so he didn't see. He distanced himself for a second, walking on ahead of me and kicking a post with his foot. "I did pursue it though, got offered a contract down in London... It just didn't work out."

"What! Why not? I mean, I know a load of people that would buy your album with a voice like that!"

His eyes dropped to the floor and he was trying not to meet my gaze, "I just had a personal commitment here. Will you drop it please Luce?"

His voice became frustrated and I could tell whatever it was made him uncomfortable but I wasn't prepared to let the whole singing thing go just yet!

"But, what's the deal with the church? Are you like, religious or something?" I tried to make my words come out less judgemental, however the irritation in his tone had left frost in my own voice and I knew I came across as rude. I was ignorant to religion too. I just didn't see how a world with so much suffering could have a 'God' who would let it happen? He must have a personal vendetta against me that's for sure.

Ben shrugged as though that was a satisfactory answer. Boys. They were all the bloody same. I was definitely irked now and was not in the mood tonight to be snubbed.