Chapter 13

The house was like something from a catalogue. The lawns were manicured and spruced within an inch of their life and the building itself was tall and statuesque. I felt overpowered by its grandeur and sudden visions of Daisy and her perfect parents sprung to mind. I imagined their own image reflected the house, polished and pristine and I guessed their attitude would be similarly stiff and guarded. My heart rate quickened and I wanted to turn and run as fast as I could in the opposite direction. There was still time to back out...

What was I doing? Was I really just going to meet the dying girl whose boyfriend I'd been hooking up with to the point of dating - sort of - like nothing was up?

We'd been over our cover story in the car. That said it all really. We were old friends (half true) and Ben had agreed to give me some extra tuition to help me with my English (true). He forgot that he'd agreed to help me today but wanted to see Daisy after bailing on her this morning so therefore had to bring me along and he hoped she wouldn't mind (lies, lies, lies!).

Ben rang the doorbell and the chimes echoed through the house marking our arrival. I heard the clacking of heels on marble as I saw a blurred imposing figure walking towards us. The sound of a lock being turned was followed by the creek of the door and a tall woman stood before us. She was incredibly beautiful and if it wasn't for the tell tale wrinkles dusted around her eyes I would not have pegged her as being more than thirty-five at most. She wore a silky cream blouse that ruffled slightly over her full cleavage, a figure-hugging plum pencil skirt that flattered her silhouette to perfection and her patent black heels emphasised her already elevated stature. Her blonde hair was scooped effortlessly into a chignon and her lips were a deep, matte ruby red... she was immaculate.

"Ahh, Ben! So lovely to see you! Who is your friend?" the woman raised an arched eyebrow in my direction.

"Hello, Mrs Peterson! This is my friend Lucy..."

"Oh please, Mrs Peterson makes me sound ancient! I've told you a million times to call me Trish!"

With that her perfect face cracked into a beaming smile and instead of offering her hand to shake, she embraced me into a huge bear like hug. I was so overwhelmed at the sudden affection, that I just stood frozen to the spot, but Trish didn't seem to notice.

"Daisy! Come down! Ben's here!"

There was sudden banging along the landing and then a girl appeared hammering down the stairs, only to falter half way and had to stop to balance herself, gripping onto the banister fervently with her tiny hands. Ben was inside the house in an instant and quickly beside of her. He grabbed her round her waist, holding her hand tenderly in his own and slowly descended the remaining steps as though she was a glass ornament that was likely to smash at any moment.

When they reached the bottom she crunched up her face and gave him an affectionate kiss on the lips, which caused a burning sensation in my heart.

I could do this.

She turned to me quizzically, then her face suddenly brightened; the features animated and alive.

"You must be Lucy! Ben text to say you were coming! Don't stand in the doorway silly, come in!"

With that she strode over, grabbed my hand and pulled me into the house before hugging me in the same warm embrace as her mother had done before her and I again I remained frozen - this level of warmth and affection was an alien concept to me.

She squeezed tighter. I didn't want to like this girl. I wanted to come and see that she wasn't that special and Ben was missing out by choosing her over me. But I couldn't, I couldn't help but smile at her overtly cheerful nature. It was like my body was a separate entity to my mind and as if on auto drive I found myself gingerly returning the hug.