Chapter 5

Grant looked up at the castle walls a distance oft. They were a glorious sight to behold. Site in exterior held tightly together with solid concrete holding mud in each crack. Each step he took was painful and whatever Henry had given him had started to ware off. He could feel the sharp pain again with every breath, both in his collar bone, and his back. The armor he wore began to become heavier with his weary body. He looked up at check point, where four fellow knights were stationed. He tried to speak but he was out of breath.

Finally Grant was exasperated, having no energy left to even fight the pain. He fell, his legs no longer strong enough to carry him. His weak arms tried to hold him as he hit the ground, but they failed. On of the archers at the check point called down, as the bulky body hit the ground. All four knights rushed out coming to Grants aid. They arched ask different questions about his condition, in which Grant could barely reply.

Grant was aware the enter time, as two knights where a signed to carrying him inside the barracks at the check point, a visible mile from the walls of the city.

Grant closed his eyes, as they set him gently on a bed, stripping him of his armor. Grant could hear their mumbling, but all he could see in his closed eyes was the last image of the check point.

The giant stone arc, like a door way fit for a dragon, which towered above the average house. The battlements on the small tower. It was as a small fort, with no gate. A small storage area surged as a three months supply of food and a barracks for the men. Yet what strike Grant the most was the small wisp like, dirt trail coursing it's way for miles.

He forced himself to think of something else. He didn't have the time. As more alcohol was poured into his shoulder wound, and the medic began to stitch the wound. Grant screamed in pain, as three knights held him down. Two men where sent to the city to get a more adequate equipped doctor, with the proper healing herbs. Grant started breath heavy shaking breaths, each merely poking through his skin, making him bleed with every added thread. He clenched his teeth. As his neck muscles popped from his stressed body.

Grant closed his eyes as the doctor told the others he was finished.

"Its out of my hands now, he needs to rest."

"How long? Granted this is Sir Smith, who must have news of the village not far off. When can he begin to walk again, the news must be bad if he returns alone, empty handed! The more we know the better."

"All do respect, I think you are rushing things, Sir Williams. He needs to sleep, so his body can heal. He's barely conscience!"

"Very well Garret. John, let us leave the injured man to rest."

"I'y sir!" another voice beamed.

Grant gasped for every painful breath until he finally found rest in sleep.

The dark mist surround his mind as he dreamed. The young woman before appearing in front of Grant, smiling with amusement.

"I killed you, fiend" Grant said bitterly, looking at his unscathed arm, where the bite marks should have been.

"Death, as you will come to know, is not black and white, knight." The witch said with a snarl, "And i have a name, you should use it Grant. I'm Jess-" she was cut off by the enraged knight
"You are dead this is nothing but a dream! Be gone, one of the shadow! Must the devil haunt me so?"

"I am dead Grant, that much is true. But i have been summoned before you."

"So you came to me willingly? Why must you be so twisted to enjoy my enragement and torment?"

"Because you chopped of my head!" The witch screamed, "Hell have mercy on you Grant, for I will have none. I was sent to tell your everything is falling apart as I speak. So the walls you see will tumble down, plagued by the undead."

"I'm afraid I do not understand. Why would you tell me?"

The witch giggled as she glanced strait into Grant's soul, "So you can agonize. Watching every step, knowing what is coming. Then I will take my revenge, as you beg for death."

Grant scoffed, "You don't know me. I will never quit!"

"That may be true, but that's what will make it all the more worth it." The woman said, walking around Grant with her finger on his chin. She whisper her lady words with venom, sending chills down Grant's spine.

"Maybe, if we were on the same side, we could have had, mmmh, fun." The witch teased.

"I want nothing to do with your sort. Go to Hell!"

"Oh but I'm already there and, you'll be joining me there soon. You just don't know it yet."

"Are you finished?" Grant said enraged, "Because, I will gladly fight until my last breath. I will not tolerate your evil whims, witch."

"Well, then I suppose I'm done. You've been so rude." The young woman mocked with a sad face.

Grant back handed the witch with a closed fists. The figure dispersed like smoke and Grant woke up, fist flying in the air. He was now sitting up. It was nothing but a nightmare, or so he hoped.

"Sir Smith?" The knight question with concern.

Grant recognized his voice, it was John. He didn't know the man, but figured he knew his name, and his other dead companions' names as well. The people at the check point were most likely well informed.

Suddenly a sword stuck through the crevices of the knight's armor. The grin was that of a man with stained yellow teeth. What happened next struck grant. The man with yellow teeth ripped off John's helmet and bit into his neck, drinking his blood.

Grant's eyes widened, "Vampire", he whispered.

Then man smiled, blood dripping from his lips down his chin. He had long curly hair and pale dark skin. The man was bloated and had dirt in his black cracked finger nails. His eyes were human as far as Grant could see, but it was certain that he was a blood sucker.

The man wimped his mouth, "That's right."