Chapter 9

Grant rushed up a sloped road towards the commotion and noise. The mist rising from the cool ground as he ran. He glanced around spotting men, woman and children coming towards him with a dark hunger as he moved swiftly by. His armor could be heard as it met contact with other plates, and the ground he now ran on. He pull his hand-and-a-half-sword out of his sheath read to fight with it along with his shield.

Grant charged forward as three knights stood in a circle surrounded by enemies. Grant opened with a wide slash attack, splitting three of them in half. Their black faces fell emotionless onto the ground. Grant leaned back as one of the many hands came to strike him, their were like a horde of zombies, or was that exactly what they were? Grant looked inside the small ring the knights had in between them. There before him, stood a little girl and a kneeling woman, with brown hair. Her grey eyes reminded Grant of his dear Elizabeth. Grant smashed his shield into a nearby face as the other knights around him fought in the battle as well.

"What is going on!" Grant yelled in the fray.

"Men do no longer die!" I man shouted back at Grant as the mopped up the remaining corpses.

"What do you mean", Grant replied leaning on his blade.

The men didn't relax at all just staring at the bodies before meeting Grant's brown eyes again.

"The living no longer die, Black Death has hit our streets, and the plague spread. After a week men ceased to die. As if some black magic and now they slowly loose their minds. If a man dies enough times he turns", The knight paused, "Hollow. As if empty inside with no sanity of mind!"

"Dies, enough times?" Grant asked.

"Oh yes, these here slain today will rise again, more savage and wicked then every. We do not know the source of this, great evil. Only those who had the plague come back, the rest stay dead. But believe you me, the getting the plague is much worse! To slowly have your mind melt and your memories fade." The knight trailed on.

"What of Captain Rick?" Grant inquired, he pointed to the woman and child, "And those you now take into your care"

"We four knights have fought for two days strait, we bring them to a small camp we have, of ten or more so men, and three more knights. No where is safe, and trust no one. The dead have their own agenda. Captain Rick hasn't been seen in four days, he left the city with a small band of warriors and the king. Last we knew, of course."

Grant paused, he felt a need to help these people of so few in number, but needed to find Elizabeth and Rick, "I would like to accompany you to your camp, i can provide aid for a limited time, I am, indeed searching for my,Fiancé"

"Ah, a man in love during Armageddon eh? Well we would appreciate your company. Come follow us, and keep your guard up." The knight replied, "Oh, and i be Sir Wood. Sir Garret Wood."

Grant nodded in reply, not sure if he should give his name. People believed him to be a vampire, but Grant knew better, vampires were a fairy tale. It was nothing but a blood thirst cannibal attacking the fort that night. However Grant couldn't completely convince himself, as the enemy had a super natural strength.

"Lead the way." Grant said.

The bodies seemed to turn to dust in the wind. He wondered if they really would come back and how, if their bodies where gone. He kept walking forward as he followed Garret Wood. They walked quietly in the streets, trying not to disturb the hollow beings. Grant took each step with caution, as the walked behind a handful of dead.

Grant wasn't expecting their human like awareness when they turned around from the noise of his plate armor.

The enemy lashed back at him, holding weapons such as axes and pitchforks. Grant blocked the blow with his shield and lashed back with a quick jab to the face, as one fell to the ground turning to dust like the others before. The other knights covered Grant, as they slashed back at the remaining foes. They were dealt with in a matter of seconds, so quick, Grant wondered what had happened. Grant turned his head to see six suits of plate armor coming their way, Hollowed knights.

"We have to run for it!" Wood said.

Grant wondered if the two he had locked up had escaped and was after him now.

"I'll hold them off!" Grant replied.

"Are you insane!" Wood yelled looking at his now running companions, "You have to come with us!

"Get the woman and child out of here!" Grant yelled glancing back, "Now!"

Wood hesitated before turning the other direction and rushing ahead. Grant looked at the surrounding four suits of armor.

All Hell had broken loose, Grant thought. He looked at the incoming knights as one pulled back it's arm for a swing.