Chapter 16

The drape where flung open as Ruth starred at the sleeping man with hate and envy. She placed her hands on her hips looking at the sleeping man. It had been a total of forty hours sense he fell asleep.

Ruth ripped the sheets off from Grant's warm body. His wounds seemed to be healing quickly, his scars fading. Ruth was surprised to see him doing so well.

"Grant, wake up!" Ruth yelled.

The man stirred, as his eyes slowly opened. With in a few seconds of awaking he flung his body up, sitting straight up. He took a few quick deep breathes.

"How long was I out,"Grant asked,"A week, month?"

"Hush." Ruth said in a loving tone, "Not even two days."

"That's too long! I'm going to kill Henry!" Grant said flexing and stretching his arms.

He felt renewed. He rubbed his left hand over his right forearm feeling his strong muscles. He didn't feel weak any longer. He looked at Ruth, with her impatient looking face.

"You done?" Ruth questioned.

"Why so eager to move?" Grant asked, "Where is Henry?"

"I'm starving! I've eaten everything in the house, and I'm not strong enough to leave by myself." Ruth replied.

"Where is Henry?" Grant asked again.

"He left, leaving this behind for you." Ruth said show a small satchel.

"What's inside?" Grant inquired.

"Potions to help you heal more quickly and for pain."

"I see, and none of them will put me to sleep?" Grant said squinting his eyes in question.

"Yes, he assured me, he even went as far as to apologize." Ruth said with a fake expression of amusement.

"Ah, I see." Grant said leaping out of his bed, "Let us continue onward then."

Grant readied himself in his armor; he was going to Elizabeth's house next, hoping that maybe she could be found there. He sheathed his sword walking froward with the sound of his plate armor shifting with his movement. Grant opened the door to the bleak world. Blood was smeared over his stone steps, and over his brick walls. In the streets where crows eating the decade bodies of men, women and children. Grant couldn't even breathe in the horrid air.

Grant had the distinctive feeling that he was going to die before this all ended. Why had God forsaken his people? He clenched his fist venom in his heart towards the Almighty. Such innocence lying dead in the streets.

"Come on." Grant said with rage in his voice.

The man pulled out his blade as hollowed men starred at him from afar.

"The Sin of man!" Ruth said in a hushed tone.

All at once the hollowed men came rushing at Grant. The eclipsed sun still in the sky, no stars, only darkness. Fire could be heard from a distance off. Smoke rising in the sky as the dead came to attack Grant.

The knight swung his sword to the left and right plowing through the forces of evil, those who were once people. As Sir Smith's blade lashed out, blood came flying from his drenched blade. He stabbed one of his enemies in the shoulder blades kicking him from his blade before slamming his fist into another incoming enemy.

He slammed his hilt into another's skull, and finished with chopping one in half.

He continued walking forward into the ever growing darkness. He flicked his blade getting most of the blood off his blade before whipping it on his red cape. He placed the blade gently back into his sheath, as Ruth nervously followed along.

The blonde woman knew if this man found out her plans, she would die. She couldn't allow for such things to come to pass, and followed along as the nervous and naive girl Grant took her for.

Grant walked past broken door's and blooded streets, flies warming the dead bodies. He found Elizabeth's house, the door torn from it's hinges and brick falling from its once stable walls. Grant rushed forward blindly.

More blood welcomed the knig t inside, torn rugs and drapes. Destroyed cabinets and furnishing littered the living space.

"Elizabeth!" Grant yelled rushing up stares.

Ruth slowly walked in, shocked at the mess. She hoped Elizabeth was dead. She gently pushed her hand against her face, acting surprised and shocked with near perfect display. Grant soon after rushed back down stairs, charging out the door.

What Sir Smith had seen was horrifying. The quickest glance of her room revealed total destruction. The only thing he had seen on the wall was a note, written by Rick, announcing that he had Elizabeth with him.

Rity turned walking quickly outside as the man gave little to no disregard for her presents.

"How rude" she mumbled eith hate,"so barbaric."

Grant stopped suddenly in the middle of the road glancing back at Ruth he poked her head out the door. He glanced at her, turning his helmed face at the woman. He beckoned her over with a movement of his armored arm.

He watched her move quickly out the door before turning his head back the direction he was running. Once more Grant started charging forward, Ruth trying to keep up.

"So this is how he treats a lady!" She planted under her breath.