Chapter 21

Grant left for the throne room by himself. He didn't want anyone else. He had to do this alone. It was the final stop. The last mission. After this task, the world could be restored to its former glory.

Years would pass, but men would rebuild.

It took Grant two days on horse back to reach the inner city. He dismounted his horse. Things were too quiet. Not a soul, or sin was insight, the streets completely empty, except for blood stained stones.

His horse made a horrible sound, being spooked by something unhearable, or see able by Grant. The knight lunged back, try to grab his horse's rangs, but it was too late. He turned back, watching his horse run off. He didn't need it any more any way. This was the end.

Grant walked forward towards the royal palace. Looking at his surroundings, dead trees with no leaves, even bushes were leaf less. Flowers were wilted or dead and the grass had turned brown. The stone steps were neatly aligned. The lack of noise was defining, the only sound was Grant's moving armor. Blood stained ground, and broken structures treated him. He walked to the doors, pushing it open as he looked at the torn rug and cob web corners. A small fire was kindled around the throne.

Suddenly horse trotting was heard, as one of the hollow guardians came riding towards him with a ball and chain. The weapon came at him, slamming and puncture Grant's armor. He flew back from the force, his entire body aching, blood slowly oozing from the small wounds in his chest. The figure had, at first, looked like a man but closer examination revealed otherwise. The armor was too small, it was a woman underneath the horrific steel plates. Grant looked up at the towering figure, as he slashed his blade through the armored horse's leg. The beast toppled over, leaving its rider crashing to the ground. Grant stood up, only to be tripped by the chain of the enemy's weapon.

The giant spiked ball came down towards Grant's head, as he rolled off to the side, dodging it by the hair of his head. He went for his sword, but the woman warrior reacted to his reach, stepping on his wrist.

Grant was trapped, the ball and chain coming for him again. He leaned in towards the enemy's leg. The weapon missed his head, but slammed into his shoulder, breaking his arm. The spikes punctured his shoulder. Grant gave out a yell of horror and pain. He forced his broken arm to aid his pinned wrist, as he kicked against the steel played woman. He successfully knocked the enemy back, a small thud was heard as the sin fell against the ground. Grant quickly grabbed his blade, leaping forward at the enemy. He pinned the woman to the ground, blade raised over his head and thrust his blade at the enemy's head. The time his sword was in the air, the helmet was off his opponent, and hit Grant across the head, knocking his own helmet off.

The woman stood up, her hair falling to her shoulders. Grants heart leaped into his throat. it was Elizabeth. The woman starred at Grant with cold eyes. She was no longer human. Her helmet was held firmly in her hand. Grant looked up at the woman, his body laid against the ground, his unbroken arm holding his anguished body from the ground.

"Elizabeth?" Grant questioned, already knowing the answer.

The woman didn't reply, walking forward drawing a short sword by her side.

"Elizabeth, what happened to you?"Grant asked again the woman continue forward.

The woman stopped, staring directly into Grant's eyes, and smiling and evil smile.

"Elizabeth is dead" the woman replied.

Grant was shocked. He looked the woman up and down.

"This body was stronger than any armor." Elizabeth paused, "The only way to stop this all, is to kill me, and take the throne. Inevitably you will die. You have to in order to save this world, a sacrifice must be made at the throne. I told you Grant, I would see you in Hell."

"Wait, what? How has this come to pass? If you aren't Elizabeth who are you?" Grant inquired.

The woman leaned down, kissing Grant's lips, and then quickly pulling away. Grant was bewildered. One moment he was fight the enemy, the other it was none other than the love of his life.

"I always wanted to do that, even if you cut my head off. I still think you're handsome."

Grant's eyes went wide, "Jessica."

"That's right Grant, you finally put it together. I stole Elizabeth's poor body. My spirit is possessing her. She's in here, but long sense dead."

Grant leaped up, tackling the woman to the ground. Tears rushed down his eyes in anger.

"You bring her back! You bring her back right now!" Grant screamed, slamming the woman against the ground.

"Stop Grant, you're hurting me!" The weeping voice yelled.

Grant let the woman go instantly, "Elizabeth?"

A cruel laugh was made as the woman cut Grant's head clean off, "You were so go able."

The life less body fell to the floor as the woman stood back up. Blood had spilled all over her face as she started at the blonde Spaniard glaring in.

"Ah, have you come to kill me as well?" The woman taunted.

Marcio had seen Grant's head fly in the air from the woman's blow. He smiled an awkward smile as he walked closer. He was going to die.

The woman dropped her blade as the rapier pierced through her armor and into her heart. She smiled.

"Killing me won't be enough. You will die, but you must sit on the throne" The smirk faded, as Marcio, let the body fall to the ground.

The satisfying thump was heard as he walked towards the throne, the fire gone.

Only one choice remained, was he to sit on the throne?