Chapter 11

Grant looked around the library with a quick panoramic glance, it had been a day since he broke out of the prison. He needed to find Elizabeth as soon as possible, along with Rick. Grant wanted to make sure the two most important people in his life were safe. He didn't know if they were and it killed him inside. Black death had hit England, and the only things in the streets now where dead.

"Sir Wood, I will be heading out today." Grant said as the knight walked up behind him.

He was slurping on some scavenged soup, wiping his mouth with his hand to speak, "So sure that a living man is ringing those bells?"

"There would be no reason for the dead to ring them."

Wood sighed, "I know not your name, and I fear you wouldn't give it to me. But nevertheless I will say this, there is only trouble in that way. You are better off searching for Captain Harrison."

"I only know he is outside the city with our king, and that's according to your information, which at this time can judge to be true, especially under these," Grant paused for the right wird, "circumstances".

"Indeed, even if I have sworn to the law of chivalry. A man shows his true colors when his steel is tested. Remember that. I wish you would stay, we could use another man."

"I have people to protect who are not of this flock. I apologize, if I could stay, I would." Granted replied.

"Well then, my good sir, I wish you luck, and a fair warning. A knight is trapped in the prison a ways off. Near the location where you aided us, he is a vampire, a predator of the night. I would not risk my life to enter that prison, unless circumstance's force came upon me."

Grant mumbled under his breathe, "I'm not a vampire."

Wood starred at him peculiarly, Grant realising the knight had heard him, "Did you just say you are not a vampire? If i were to take that into context, then you came from the prison", the knight's voice trembled, "By God! Oh Marry's Child, save us, it is Grant Smith!"

The knights around drew their swords, after Wood's yell, including the man himself. He gripped his blade tightly, trying not to show his fear.

Grant turned his head. His eyes showing through his helmet's visors.

"After all I have done?" Grant said as Wood was hesitant.

"Especially after so, you killed an entire outpost with an ax wound in your collar bone. And you haven't shown your face to any of us. You may as well look the part now as well!" Wood thrust his sword at Grant.

Grant easily deflected the blow, using his steel brace. He drew his own sword as he thought of a way to save his life, there was nothing more he could do, eccept survive. He swore to God he would survive, in hatred and anger. He kept asking himself, 'Why?', as he looked around for an advantage.

Woods companions started ushering in relentless blows. Grant ran off to one direction, finding a door way.

"Perfect", Grant thought to himself.

He quickly rushed through the door way, as a sword hit his steel plate on his back.

Grant turned instanly, once through the door way. He thrust his sword into the visor of one sir, with the blade smashing the back of the helmet. The out numbered knight saw the rest of them, five more sirs, and Wood.

Grant held no personal feelings against them, he was sure he would do the same, if the tides were turned but Grant was a survivor, and would give in to the darkness creeping through his soul, even if the witch, now dead, whispered it there. Grant wouldn't give into the devil's fire and brimstone, he would face this Hell with every passing breathe, until he stopped breathing.

The knights came forward as Garret Wood yelled,"He's trying to narrow us to one on one."

Grant slammed one of the heads against the door frame, before following with a knee smash. When the man had finished, he pushed the body back into his friends, making them stop in their tracks to hold him up.
Grant moved with speed slamming his sword into the shoulder blade of one of the enemies. Grant knew the taste of steel and knew the pain, his once fellow knight, felt.

He watched as his sword bent with the pressure, as another man hit the blade, shattering it into two. Grant re-acted thrusting the broken blade into the other sirs neck, kicking him quickly back. The demanding adjacent knight lashed out, hitting Grant with his fist across his face.

Grant staggered from the blow falling into a wall. The same man came charging forward slamming his blade into Grant's shoulder. He cussed under his breath, He was starting to get use to the type of pain. He couldn't scream, that would let his enemies have an upper hand.

This was do or die.

Grant grabbed the man's head with both hands, instantly afterwards breaking his neck. He took a deep breath taking the sword out of his shoulder, the other men taking a step back. The truly thought him immortal.

"Stop this!" Grant shouted, focusing his energy from the pain he felt into his words.

The venom could be heard from his pain, leaving a dark and deep hissing voice booming through out the halls.

"You really are the undead. The only way to kill something like you is to chop off your head, and burn you on the stake!" Wood replied.

Grant was enraged, they were forcing him to kill them. He couldn't run, he could only fight.

"You brought this upon yourselves." Grant replied drawing his long sword from his sheath.

Wood walked forward, it was only him and three others now. Grant still didnt like his odds. He was bleeding badly, and could feel his life starting to fade.

Grant righted his jaw, making a string face as he walked forward towards Garret Wood. He hoped the stubborn man would burn in Hell.

"God forgive me." Wood said as he came to strike Grant.

The injured knight took a risk, quickly closing the gap of the blade to grabe Garret's un armored throat. Grant thrusting his long sword through his head.

Grant had just ended Woods life, guilt filled his soul as one of the men screamed a loud no. Grant knew he was a monster, but not because he was a vampire. Grant had turned into something else for sure, he could feel his humanity failing, not in physical form, but in his heart and mind.

The knight rushed forward with rage, towards Grant as his brothers coward. The bald slashed at Grants back, denying the plate armor, and bruising the man's back. Grant yelled in oain, as he delivered his counter. A rock was in his hands as he bashed the stone into the offenders head.

The stone turned to dust as the man made impact with the ground. The blow was hard enough to leave him on the ground as Grant stood back up, his blood now dripping from his armor in a slow manner.

"Has the devil possessed you!" One knight yelled.

"That's what Sir Wood believed, and died a maryter for." Grant replied walking relentlessly towards them.

Grant knew he couldn't let any one here live to hunt him down later. He was tempted to ask God for forgiveness, but knew if he existed, he had placed him in this position.

The knight yelled in fear as Grant two-handed his sword through the crevices of his armor.

"Apologies." Grant said as he walked to the remainder man.

The injured knight slammed his steel fist into the man's face, before breaking his neck.

"God bless you in the after life, if he is actually real."