Chapter 10

Grant watched as the arm swung back. Their moves were over drawn like rookies. All their moves were easily anticipated by the well trained knight, as their arms moved slowly back and quickly forward. Grant was able to block the hard and painful blows with his sheild, as four incoming swords lashed out at him. Even though their moves were easily predicted, Grant couldn't keep up with four of them long enough to counter, it would be too great a risk. The knight knew that he probably would be unable to find the way to the camp spoken about earlier, if he survived.

Suddenly an arrow came flying through the air, hitting a hollow suit of armor through the helmet' s visor. Grant leaped back, providing more space for himself to work with. He didn't have time to glance back at the archer, he just hoped that the person was hitting target and not missing him. Grant went goff an attack, his heavy swing and sharp blade cutting through the chain mail around one of the soldiers' necks. Fear fludded his body, his feet getting cold as he waited for an arrow in his back. He waited for the ending blow, but it never came insted another arrow flew past Grabt into another suit of armor's visor. The body faded into dust like the other undead. Grant took the next incoming blow from the last remaining hollow, countering with his sheild and finished it with his sword.

This whole time Grant had thought that if God was real he had appended him, forsaken him to doom and misery, now he wast so sure. He thought that if the deity existed, why he had waited to help Grant out only now made no sense. Grant turned around mid thought, sheild at the ready, starring at Sir Wood.

I thought you had left" Grant said, lowering his sheild.

"I couldn't leave you. After running a certain distance I turned back to aid you." Sir Wood replied, "Come, let us catch up with the others."

Grant felt tension around the man. It still made little sense to Grant for his return, despite for his explanation. He ignored his instincts as he followed the man. They jogged forward, as the strived to catch up to the other two knights. Their armor seemed much heavier as they ran along, the combined weight of each plate added to their fatigue.

"Just around here." Wood commented, as they turned the corner.

The two men watch as the other two knights ushered the woman and child into the building off in the distance. The huge building was a broken down library, in the rubble was a bonfire, providing light and warmth for the small gathering. Around the giant flames was a wall built by the broken walls of the library.
Grant slashed with his sword, as hordes of enemies came at them. Had God forsaken England? His people, His land. Would such a deity let Hell roam among men? This was why Grant didn't believe in God, because if the knight had the same power, Hell and all connected to it would not exist.

"In the library." Wood commented with a heavy breath.

Both men slashed at enemies surrounding them, plowing their way through the streets and to the damaged library. The church bells rang again, telling the knights it was eleven-o'clock.

"Who is ringing the bells?" Grant asked wood as they entered the library's makeshift gate.

"Whom? We had never thought of that. However, I assume it is one of the hollow dead. Why?" Wood replied.

"I don't think the dead would ring a bell. Which means it us being done by the living." Grant replied.

Sir Garret Wood pondered the man's remarks as Grant looked about the Library ruins.

Books lied cluttered about on the ground among dust and stone from the old contents of the building. A wooden door swung open to reveal ten men, seven children and eleven woman. Wood conversed a wile with his men as Grant tried to absorb everything in. Grant sat down on a turned over stone. The city was smashed, houses in ruin and dead bodies covering the streets. What bothered Grant the most was the lack of the sun, as if forever hidden behind a giant cloud, no it was much worse, like an eternal eclipse. The light of the world had left. If there was a God Grant was angered at Him.