Chapter 7

Grant was only welcomed by a cold and damp dungeon with his pains and wounds. He waited sitting in the corner of his cell waiting in hope for his visitor. It had been three days. He wondered when his execution would take place it was not often that the authorities would let such a situation linger. He knew that Rick was pulling strings. Grant didn't like sitting around waiting for his death, he would rather get it over with. He looked at his dirty feet as he heard the clashing of armor against the cold stone floor. He looked up at the sealing where a constant drip of water hit the floor, it was usual for knights to come and go in the dungeons.

Grant wasn't sure if there was a God, but if there was, why had he forsaken him now? Was he really doomed to an eternity in Hell? Was their no mercy for him, even though he had striven to live an upright life?

"Argh!" Grant yelled slamming his left fist against the wall behind him.

The rest of the prisoners were riled up by Grant's actions, hooting and hollering. A voiced shouted back at them.

"Shut up, you bloody lot! Or I'll have your head on a pike!"

A whistles could be heard from one of the other inmates as others started yelling inappropriate remarks. It must have been a woman, either visiting or being left to wrought. Grant dropped his head, letting it fall on his arms as he watched his feet.

A soft and all too familiar voice was heard at Grant's cell door as the armor stopped moving.

"Grant?"

Instantly Grant threw his head up seeing the lovely face he had missed for several days. Her long dark hair flowed just inches beyond her shoulder, while her cute stubby nose seemed to complement her lovely grey colored eyes. A tear roled down her rounding face as Grant rushed to the bars, on his knees. He was still shirtless, blood stains from his head to toe, with multiple healing battle wounds.

"Elizabeth!" Grant shouted back.

Grant remembered the day they had met, he was no older then fourteen. She had been the first girl Grant had ever danced, while he was yet still a squire. He remembered her being as beautiful then as she was now. It wasn't until seventeen years later that Grant and her had become serious and started courting. Grant was going to purpose to her after he had cleaned up the mess at the village. He found it hard to believe that was a week ago.

Elizabeth couldn't hold back her tears as she covered her mouth speechless. All she could see where torn stitches on his spoiler and multiple wounds across his body, near and far between. Though those thoughts were nothing compared to Grants schedule death.

"I know. Elizabeth, I'm not in much pain, I'm great, really. Don't worry about me."

"Oh Grant." She said reaching her hand through the bars.

Seconds after she had done that, the knight beside her pulled her back.

"Miss Elizabeth, that is highly illegal. And dangerous. This is no longer a man. He is a vampire."

Grant gritted his teeth. He was no such thing. He was no vampire.

"Let her go!" Grant yelled.

"I'm afraid that Miss Elizabeth's actions have cost this reunion." The Knight replied, "I can see it I'd not safe for her to be around you any more."

"What the Hell are you say!" Grant yelled angered, as the knight dragged Elizabeth away.

"Elizabeth I live you! I love you!" Grant shouted desperately A she was being forced to leave.

"I love you to Grant, I always have, now and forever!" Elizabeth balled.

"Come! stop your struggling" The soldier yelled.

Grant sat in his cell. It was only moments later the Rick came, except in his fine ware. Grant was bitter, and didn't have the spirit to talk politely now with Rick, but it seemed avoiding this conversation was not possible.

"Disease has spread through the streets. Men, woman, even children are bleeding from theirs eyes. It seems that's not the worst of it. People are claiming that they have become crazed. I was able to extend your execution for the end of this month, that will buy you two more weeks." Rick said, formally.

"Harrison, why have you come here?" Grant asked.

Rick knew Grant was beyond frustrated. He only called him Harrison when he was enraged. Rick gulped.

"Why extend the date, why torture me so? Just bring me to the stake so I can burn! For Heaven's sake! I hope God gives you mercy!"

"I thought you didn't believe in quote, 'Supernatural superstitions', Grant. Including God."

"Maybe I've changed my mind, Harrison. Why don't you just chop of my head."

"Because believe it or not, there are people who love and care for you. People who need to see you one last time."

"I already saw who I needed to see. Tell Starlight, she'll never stop being my light, even after I'm dead."

"I prefer you tell her yourself. Tomorrow perhaps? It seems she has already visited."

Grant sighed, "I would if your man hadn't dragged her away!"

Rick looked to the floor, "I wish I could do more for you."

Grant picked his head up, both men looking at each other. They didn't say a word, breaking eye contact. Rick was unsure what ti do, standing awkwardly.

"Can I get a set of clean clothes?" Grant asked, "and a wash bucket, I'm sick if smelling myself."

Rick chuckled, "Sure thing buddy."

Grant shook his head, "Glad you think it's funny."

The two men were left with no more words. The warden came soon after, whispering into Rick's ear. The knight was alarmed, and so was Rick. Sir Harrison glanced at Grant and then back to the warden, bidding in response as both me trailed off.

Once again Grant was left in the cold lonely prison by himself, with only his solitary thoughts.