Chapter 18

The rope was tight around Ruth's hands. She followed the line knotted to a tree, as Grant cared for his wound. He glanced back at the woman as he let his shirt drop over his naked torso.

"God be willing, Ruth, what is your plan? hmm?"

"This is it, just to watch the world burn!" She replied coldly.

The blonde woman was nothing like Jessica. She was cold, and indifferent. Unlike the witch Grant had killed before, she didn't find this amusing, or enjoyable.

Grant strapped his armor to his body, "How do I stop it?"

"Even if I knew, I wouldn't say." She said bitterly.

"It's too bad, because if ye don't know, then you're just dead weight." Grant said, yelling the last word as a burst of energy was used yank the rope forward.

The woman flew into the sky, hitting the ground with a thud. The air left her lunges, as she wiggled on the ground.

Ruth gave a evil and deadly look towards the man, "I thought you believed in God, doesn't he teach serenity, peace, to love your enemy?"

"Witch, I'm not so sure there is a God."Grant said as the woman tried to get back on her feet, "However, even if He was, I would still drag your useless self around!"

She had just gotten to her knees when Grant started walking away, rope in hand. The woman fell over, being dragged through forest floor. She struggled to get to her feet as rocks, leaves and stick scratched at her skin and tearing her dress. Her should slammed into a tree, the pain causing her to whimper.

Grabt turned his head back, disgust was all he had, "Get on your feet!"

He placed his hand on her caller bone, lifting the woman to her feet. Ruth flitched at his strong firm grip, the force bruising her skin.

Grabt turned his head walking forward as a small clearing was spotted off in the distance. They were close, and Grant couldn't wait to see Rick, or Elizabeth. The knight felt like a tree of excitement and hope was growing inside him, something he hadn't felt in a while.

Grant looked to the sky as they wandered, the gloomy sun always at sunset; most would consider it pretty, however the soft glow emitted a tarnished brown color. It took the hope of a new day, a chance to try again. He looked to the ground, it was a better sight in his eyes.

"I think the sky is quit pretty." Ruth tested.

Grant ignored the woman, stepping towards the clearing. He glanced around the small field he spotted ahead. Almost instantly, a sword was held to Grant's neck.
"I see you act with calmness. Now that I know you aren't a dark one, May I ask your name?"

Grant turned around, the sword being lowered with his metal figures last words.

"I'm Grant Smith, and I'm looking for Rick. Second, this is a witch, whom has stabbed me, she holds important information, which my brother knights will want to hear."

"Nice to meat you Sir Smith, I'm Ivan Stronghold. Some call me in battle, Ivan the Brave. This is indeed good information you have brought before me. Give me the rope and we shall take this woman hence forth to Rick.

"Very well, lead the way." Grant replied, hesitating a moment to give the man the rope.

"You men are worst than I! Trading me like a horse or cow! I am not a slave!" Ruth screamed.

"She seems to be very sentimental." Ivan said jokingly.

"You have no idea." Grant replied.

Both men enjoyed a chuckle as they walked by the boarder of the woods. Grant looked around, see rings of black misty smoke coming from the middle of the field. He tilted his head, why were they circling around it?

"Why do you avoid the middle of the field?" Grant inquired.

"The enemy has a fort there." Ivan replied.

The witch smiled as she stumbled along. She knew of what they spoke. The fort was none other than a bonfire. She didn't understand how they worked, only that they were a source of power. Men who conquered these fires became stronger.

"A fort?" Grant said with question.

"Yes Sir Smith, a fort." The man paused, "Well, it is more of just a fire, but a behemoth stands gaurd, and the fire can not be doused"

"A fire that can't be doused? Nonsense." Grant replied.

"I've seen it with my own eyes." Ivan replied staring ahead at a small barracks."And here we are! You can ask Rick yourself!"

"Thank you." Grant said, smiling under his helmet.

Grant took the rope from Ivan as he stepped forward in the direction Ivan pointed. Grant walked through the door, walking up a flight of stairs and into a small office room. Rick starred up as Grant tossed the blonde girl on the ground. He unstraooed his helmet giving his friend a smile.

"She's the key Rick. She knows how to stop this. All of it."

"Hold on, who is this? How did you-"

Grant cut him off, " The prison was luck. This is a witch."

The woman starred at Rick as he stood up from his seat. He closed the ledger he was staring at.

"Very well."

"Where is Elizabeth?" Grant asked.

"She's not here." Rick replied starring down at the table, "I was to escort the king herr, however my group was split into two, she's with his highness."

"So she is safe?"

"I hope so Grant, however I do not know for sure. They had a great deal of men compared to me, and we are protecting thirty people with a force three times the size."

Grant did say anything. He simply looked towards the ground. He was angry at Rick, he was suppose to protect her, however how could he be? She was most likely safer with the king than his good friend. He simply wished she was with him now.