Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Daimonas)

The next day at school, Starling wouldn't talk to me.

And it hurt. He didn't wait by my locker like he did yesterday. He didn't stop to talk to me or walk me to my classes or sit by us at lunch and it was driving me crazy. I needed to talk to him. I wanted to talk to him. I had to ask about Newell and Xed. All three of them had a history that I felt I needed to know about.

"Give him some time," Ana had advised me at lunch as she bit into her lettuce, tomato, and cracker sandwich, "He's probably just reeling. You know, like the rest of us since apparently Starling's a dragon and you're... well, you're something." I smiled uneasily at that, averting my eyes. Kiki just gazed at me with a fascination that kind of scared me as she popped a grape in her mouth.

"I... I want to tell you," I admitted, making Ana raise an eyebrow and Kiki perk up, "But, Newell. He'll get so mad at me."

"You mean the short one?" Ana asked. I nodded.

"Don't tell him that, though. He gets mad really easily." I responded. Ana hummed thoughtfully at that as she popped a banana chip into her mouth.

"They say short people are usually angry people." She mused, making me wrinkle my nose. Julian was short, but then, I guess he wasn't as short as Newell. No one was as short as Newell, except little kids, obviously, which is why he was so commonly mistaken as one. Which reminded me.

"Kiki, how did you know Newell wasn't a kid?" I asked, looking at her. Ana looked at her too with obvious interest. Kiki chewed up her pizza shaped like a turtle and shrugged, picking up her energy drink, which she really shouldn't be drinking since she already bounced off the walls most of the time.

"I dunno. The way he spoke and the way he walked. Little kids like to dance around and be annoying, or hide behind stuff. Newell walked like he owned the place. And my nana taught me to recognize people by the way they walked. You can tell a lot by the way a person walks." She explained cheerfully.

"I guess that makes sense." Ana muttered, but she didn't seem to believe it. I shook my head, looking down at my feet when I felt someone touch my shoulder, making me jump and look up to see Starling standing there. Relief swept through me that he was actually looking at me and talking to me.

"We need to talk." He stated. I nodded and got up, looking at Kiki and Ana, who looked at me expectantly.

"I'll be back." I told him, making them nod. Although, Kiki looked upset that she didn't get to follow us. I got up and went along with Starling out into the hallway and to the bathrooms at the end of the hall. He checked the stalls by kicking them all open again, making me wince when they banged against the walls. He turned to face me, one hand in the pocket of his black jeans. He looked really good in black. He wore a zip up hoodie today under his jean jacket. I'm surprised he wasn't hot, but then, he might be used to the muggy weather.

"I need to know why you're with Xed and Newell." Starling stated. My heart sank that he didn't want to talk to me just to talk to me. He wanted to discuss Xed and Newell. Of course he wouldn't want to talk to me, I thought dumbly. I made him so angry yesterday and ate my apartment keys, which still had yet to digest from the acid in my stomach and were giving me a belly ache.

"Because." I answered quietly. Starling narrowed his eyes and approached me, making my heart jump into my throat as I backed up against the wall, the same as yesterday. I had to stop doing that. I didn't like being backed up against a wall.

"Don't give me that," He scowled, raising an arm to put against the wall, cutting me off so I couldn't run out the door, "I already know about our world. I need to know about your world. So don't treat me like I'm stupid or human, or both. What are you and why are Xed and Newell so interested in you?" I swallowed hard, looking around nervously, hoping someone would burst in and interrupt what was happening, but it didn't happen. I was trapped and I had no choice, but to tell Starling. I wanted to, I really did, but knowing that Newell would be disappointed in me hurt.