Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six (Xed)

Newell was acting strangely.

I had never seen him this unsettled before. Granted, we were about to face a battle that would no doubt kill someone, here's hoping to it being Hunter or Orion, but I was confident that we would do well. We were stronger than this. I'd easily taken down pureblood vampires before without even having to rip out innards.

Was this Startius really that strong?

Of course, I couldn't ask Newell how he felt because I couldn't speak, so I was forced to sit beside him in silence, watching him drive like a maniac on purpose just to spite Starling, who was groaning and complaining in the backseat while Daimonas shrank down into his, squeezing his seatbelt. I had a feel Newell was also taking out his stress on driving, which wasn't too smart because even I knew the police were bound to catch onto us sooner or later. Thankfully, we arrived at the McDonalds without getting arrested or killed.

We got out and Newell sent Starling and Daimonas in ahead of us. He leaned against the back of the car, rubbing his hands down his face before looking down at the asphalt with a stern glower, like he was trying to think hard about the whole situation, but really, what was there to think about?

We lure Stratius into a trap and destroy them. What was so difficult about that? Was I underestimating this Stratius? Even worse is I couldn't press Newell for details. I couldn't even ask him if his body was okay after last night.

A pool of guilt had taken place in my stomach after last night. I had very obviously hurt him. He even bled and while he pretended not to notice, I did and I felt terrible for doing it. It seemed no matter what body he had, I was going to hurt him. And for once, I was starting to hate my own body. I was too big and too rough and I couldn't help it.

All my fantasizes had come rolling into one. Newell had let me pick him up and carry him to bed. He put his lips on me again, and he rode me for most of the night. I could still feel his eternally light body bouncing on top of me, his long black hair spilling over his shoulders like a black waterfall, his piercing blue eyes half-lidded and watching me in a manner I could only call seductive.

I couldn't control myself. I wanted to be inside him so badly it hurt.

I reached out and touched Newell's shoulder, making him look up at me. I brought my fist to my chest and rolled it around in circles to indicate apology. Newell looked confused now, standing up straight.

"What are you sorry for?" He asked. I raised an eyebrow and waited until he seemed to realize what I was referring to. His cheeks pinkened and he looked away uncomfortably, reaching up to bring his ponytail over his shoulder.

"There's really no need, Xed. And don't apologize for it," He added, his voice tight and his eyes sweeping over to stare at me intensely, "I thoroughly enjoyed it." I cocked my head in questioning and he just shook his head, reaching up to press a hand to his face.

"God, you are incredibly sweet. You're going to give me diabetes." He groaned. I smiled at that, relieved to see him making more wise cracks. I had been worried, especially after Hunter had spoken to Newell. The way Newell looked reminded me of that time so long ago when he'd been pinned down by a werewolf named Drake. It was very rare that I saw Newell in fear, and when I saw Hunter get too close to him and say something I couldn't pick up, the blood had drained from Newell's face and the horror was evident.

I was tempted to ask Newell what it was that Hunter said to make him so afraid, but he wouldn't tell me. The last thing he wanted to do was share his fears and weaknesses with others, even me.

"We might as well go inside and grab something." Newell said at last. I wrinkled my nose, not looking forward to the fastfood. It was barely real food anyway. The meat tasted so plain and crisp. I preferred raw with blood oozing between the pockets of the meat, but of course, asking for that would only make me appear even weirder to the humans. So I simply ordered a drink before we sat down at the booth where Starling and Daimonas were.