Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen (Daimonas)

Xed and Newell were going to kill me.

It was already getting late and the nightlife was already coming alive. The tourists went back home to hide while the humans that drank and partied emerged from slumber or arrived home from work for a night of relaxation and entertainment.

And it was dangerous, I noticed. There was an aura that some humans gave off that was unfriendly and disconcerting. Most of them walked around in black, or the ones who only came to party and drink and wore neon colors. It was the ones in black that made me uneasy. They were taller than me and a few were riding bikes into the bar that I passed by.

I shouldn't be out this late, especially on my own. I didn't want to get hurt or get into trouble, but I also didn't want to go back to the hotel. I was still mad at Newell for making us leave San Francisco. I wanted to go back to Starling and ask him more about college and skateboarding. I wanted him to show me how to skateboard. How fun would that be? I could go to his competitions and congratulate him and we could go out to eat.

But it was all just a dream.

Even on my own, I couldn't get back to San Francisco. I didn't have enough money either. I already spent some on dinner and cute little doll that a woman had given me on a street corner from her booth. The doll reminded me of Starling. Its black hair looked so real and it was cut like Starling's, bangs across its face where a pair of silver studs were poked in for the eyes. Its mouth was a cute little X made of yarn. He wore a long leather jacket with a turtleneck underneath and black pants with little boots.

I was so engrossed in staring at the doll that I hadn't realized I bumped into someone. I winced, stepping back and looking up to apologize, but my voice caught in my throat. I found myself staring up at the vampire named Orion. His blonde hair was tied back into a ponytail, bangs across his forehead, over his piercing blue eyes. He was dressed in his riding gear. He looked just as stunned to see me.

I didn't know what to say. Fear rooted me in place.

"You..." Orion didn't get to finish because a pretty freckled redhead came out of a nearby shop, wearing a neon yellow and orange designed sundress, her hair in a ponytail and her green eyes sparkling excitedly as she linked her arm with Orion's, then spotted me. She smiled cluelessly at her boyfriend.

"Do you know him?" She asked. Orion stared at me for a while longer and I stared back, holding my breath, then his eyes narrowed.

"Nope," He answered, "He was just asking for directions to his hotel." His girlfriend beamed at me.

"I hope he wasn't too gruff with you. He can be such a jerk when he doesn't get enough sleep." She told me with a playful nod. I just nodded back, feeling uncomfortable. Obviously she didn't know Orion was a psychotic murderer.

"Oh," She exclaimed suddenly, "I forgot my keys! Be right back, sweetheart." She pecked Orion on the cheek and rushed back into the shop. Orion watched her go, then snapped his head to glare at me and I did my best to glare back.

"What are you doing here?" He demanded icily. I stiffened at his tone, but didn't cower at him and cleared my throat.

"I'm not here to visit you, if that's what you're thinking." I answered hesitantly. Orion didn't look convinced.

"Well, I'm not here to see you either." He returned coldly. I scowled.

"How is that even believable when you and your people kept trying to torture me all those years?'" I demanded angrily. Orion scoffed, folding his arms over his chest.